Source Tree failing to install and run

Rich Agren July 7, 2017

I cannot login to SourceTree.  I've tried everything from deleting Atlassian sub-folders to finding older versions and re-installing them first.  I've tried logging in with Google and logging in with Atlassian password.  The one thing I haven't been able to try is to install SourceTree to a different directory since the installer doesn't give me an option to change it that I can see.  I don't need to revert back to .net framework 4.6.1 because I never went to 4.7 so that can't be the issue.  I've also tried downloading and running it from IE.

I am currently working with setup version number 2.1.2.5 and each time I get to the login screen, it says "Sourcetree has stopped working".  I check the log file and it is completely empty. Clicking "Having trouble logging in?" also crashes the program.  I have not been able to get past this point.  I have read and tried countless threads on this issue to no avail.  I am just a single user at home so there are no funky admin/firewall things, and I turned off my virus checker.

Any other ideas that I'm missing?  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.  

4 answers

4 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 10, 2017

Hi Rich, have you tried wiping SourceTree preferences already? If that doesn't help, you can try a clean install:

1. Uninstall SourceTree (if it shows on the App&Features list)
  2. Backup then delete the directory below before proceeding with next step
    • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local and delete SourceTree & SourceTree-Settings folder
    • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Atlassian and delete all SourceTree Files/Folder.Download SourceTree and install it.
  3. Download SourceTree and install it.

Let us know if this worked for you!

Cheers,

Ana

Samirullah March 19, 2018

Hi, 

I have the same problem, none of the versions work for me, i am using windows 7 professional. please guide.

Regards,

Samir

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 19, 2018

Hi @Samirullah, can you check your logs and tell us if you find any errors? 

On Windows, the SourceTree log file is located at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\sourcetree.log

Let us know!

Ana

Samirullah March 19, 2018

Hi Ana,

this is the error

ERROR [2018-03-19 16:04:22,126] [1] [SourceTree.App] [.ctor] - finish EnsureSquirrelExecutionStubIsCopied.

while i am trying to login to my account, it just stacks and does not login. 

thanks 

Samir

Like luqman afif likes this
Kapil Chandera November 26, 2019

Thank You, Ana Retamal

0 votes
Aina Aji Dian June 3, 2018

Hi, i've some error..

I can't log in with use an existing account Atlassian Account, when i click the button always show error

" JavaScript load error. We tried to load scripts but something went wrong. Please make sure that your network settings allow you to download scripts from the following domain: https://common-admin-cdn.atlassian.com/atlassian-id/front-end/2.5.24 "

0 votes
Thomas_Hinze October 23, 2017

i downloaded the latest sourcetreeapp for macos and can't finish installation. Third step "Log in to your account" does not work. i put my email in, press continue and a tooltip say "Please enter an email address"  wtf ...  no way to finish installation. 

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
October 23, 2017

Hi @Thomas_Hinze,that has been reported as a bug at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-5034. The developers are looking into it, but we don't have a resolution yet. In the meantime, as a workaround, you can download the version 2.1, this is available from https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/download-archives.

I also recommend you to watch the ticket for further updates.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Regards,

Ana

Brad King December 7, 2017

I  downloaded the 2.1 version same stupidity.  This just doesn't make sense.  Looking elsewhere

Chris Pittillo January 5, 2018

I'm encountering the same issues.  Why not remove the login from the install process completely, or build a better login solution?  Seems like this issue should have been solved by now.

Adam January 30, 2018

I'm experincing the same issue.  I have tried the most recent version and a few others with the same result. I have also tried installing with admin rights. I get as far as here and it just keeps spinning.

image.png

I have noticed with Fiddler that it makes a call to POST https://id.atlassian.com/rest/saml/sso?application=sourcetree&continue=https%3A%2F%2Fid.atlassian.com%2Fprofile%2Fprofile.action with crsfToken and usersname in the body

Then there are 3 requests to OPTIONS https://auth.atlassian.com/usernamepassword/login each return with just the word "OK" in the body

Then nothing else happens.

Versions I've tried

SourceTreeSetup-2.1.2.5.exe, SourceTreeSetup-2.3.5.0.exe, SourceTreeSetup-2.4.7.0.exe

Tom Knipphals March 12, 2018

Hi. 

Got the same problems as above. Found SourceTree Log with the following content:

ERROR [2018-03-12 16:54:36,640] [1] [SourceTree.App] [.ctor] - finish EnsureSquirrelExecutionStubIsCopied

Maybe it helps.

Bye
Tom

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
March 19, 2018

Hi @Tom Knipphals, this seems to be a different issue. In your case you could try the solution proposed by Mike Corsaro in this Community post.

Let us know if that helped!

Ana

Adam March 19, 2018

@Ana Retamal any news as to my comment? I am still unable to install, is mine a different issue as your previous suggestion of using an archived version does not work?

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
March 22, 2018

Hi @Adam, in previous cases the issue you described was caused by the settings in your browser. Sourcetree relies on Internet Explorer for authentication, please try the following:

• Turn off compatibility mode in IE. To do that, open Internet Explorer, go to the Advanced options tab and click on Reset your Internet Explorer Settings
  • Check Delete personal settings
  • Change your Internet Explorer Security Zone Settings:
  1. Open IE, click on the gear
  2. Select "Internet Options"
  3. Select the "Security" tab
  4. Select "Custom Level" for Internet
  5. Find "Access data sources across domains" and select "Enable" (make note of what the setting currently is)
  6. Try logging into Sourcetree again

After logging in, follow steps 1-5, but reset the setting back to the previous option.

Kind regards,

Ana

Samirullah April 5, 2018

Hi Ana,

Thanks , it works for me now 

Regards,

Samir

0 votes
waltjohnson September 20, 2017

I am having the same problem.  The installer only shows the splash screen at start and puts an icon on the desktop, but doesn't appear to run completely.  It doesn't give me any options either.  And the shortcut it installed doesn't run.  Help!

waltjohnson September 20, 2017

Btw. I did try what you've recommended.  Uninstalling, removing the AppData SourceTree folders, and reinstalling.  It doesn't help.

Suhas Bhosale August 13, 2019

Hi Walt,

I had same issue then I removed Sourcetree and first installed .net framework then again installed Sourcetree and it works as expected.

regards,

Suhas Bhosale.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events