Source Tree Slowness, Almost Unuseabe

PlanningDev June 17, 2013

Is Source Tree extemely slow on Windows? My git repo's are out on servers so they are mapped through the network but even while plugged in at work its super slow. 5-10 min to refresh the repo changes. 5 min commit times, staging is the same.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2013

Git's speed comes largely from the fact that everything is a local operation - by putting your repository on a remote drive you're completely eliminating that advantage so it's not a good idea. Run your repo locally and push to your server instead when you want to share.

0 votes

I figured that was the case. However the problem I have is that I am using GIT in a scenario where the files are developed/controlled by another program (IBM Cognos TM1). My goal is simply to use GIT as a way to see code change within that directory and track the changes to issues in JIRA using Stash and Fisheye. Unfortunately this means I can't setup GIT the way a true software development process would work. Im going to see if I can put sourcetree directly on the server that our software runs as most of our developers use Remote Desktop and develop from there anyway.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2013

OK, just to make you aware another alternative to remote desktop is to pull changes from the server repo into a local repo so you can look at them, or to use a post-commit hook on that server repo to automatically push those changes somewhere else.

0 votes

Looks like GIT GUI is also slow from my own machine. This must be related to WAN.

0 votes

I was using the system git. The speed really isnt any better either way. Using the GIT GUI on the server that git is running is superfast. Almost no delay. Using source tree from my system is slow.

0 votes
Malik
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 17, 2013

Is your SourceTree instance using embedded git or system git. Then if you try with one of this git directly from command link, is it also slow?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events