Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should the Master be the latest version? How do I ignore uncommitted changes?

Jeff Baumgart September 26, 2018

Hi,

It has been a while since using Sourcetree and I need to modify a program from 2 years ago. Below is how it was saved on Bitbucket. (The production program was generated from the Working copy).

I notice the Master is not at the top. Does this mean the latest was never committed/pushed up? If so, how can I correct this?

I want to modify the program using a new branch. Where do I need to branch from?

Is there a way to ignore the uncommitted changes (unnecessary compile generated files)?

Thanks,

Jeff

Sourcetree.JPG

1 answer

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2018

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community.

You are correct, your master branch does not have the latest that is in the RA431... branch, meaning it has not been merged into your master branch.

Where you branch off from is up to you, if you need the latest code you can either do it from RA431... branch, or you can wait until it has been merged into master and then branch off of master.

Yes, your unnecessary files can be ignored by using a gitignore file. Note that the gitignore file does not affect files that are already in the repository.

Thank you, I didn’t realize the last branch never got merged. If I remember right, the Master needs to be checked out first before I can merge. Is that correct?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2018

Correct, the target branch of the merge has to be checked out before the merge.

Thanks, I merged the branch OK but when I try to push it to origin I get this error:

image.png

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 26, 2018

Can you access the repository via Bitbucket? Atlassian did change the IP addresses for Bitbucket a couple of months ago, so if you are behind a firewall that may be the cause, have a look at the blog post about it. The only tech note about the error 403 from Bitbucket that I found was this one.

I saw the post. I don't seem to have access to Bitbucket. Is there any other way I can continue?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 26, 2018

You can contact support here and see if the repository is still active. If it is not you can always setup a new account in Bitbucket and import your local repository to it. While you wait you can still continue with your code changes.

My account had to be reactivated. It works now. Thanks for the help.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events