Sharing the same repository between two projects

David July 27, 2017

I'm trying to find out if it's possible to share the same repository between two projects with Git/SourceTree.

I have a two sites with their own repos, both have a plugins folder. Currently, any changes I apply to one plugin, i have to do the same to the plugin on the other site.

I've now created a 3rd repo just for my plugins (i.e. plugFolder1/2/3), I've not included file1.asp, file2.asp, .gitIgnore as they are unique to the site. This structure cannot be changed.

Is it possible to share my plugins repo and pull its content to siteA/B plugins folders. That way I can make changes to my plugins in their receptive site and commit the changes back to the plugins repo for the other sites to pull.

I've looked into submodule and subtree, when I try to add them via SourceTree, I don't understand how I'm able to pull the content from my plugins repo into my site plugins folder.

I have never used any complex stuff within GIT and I don't want to do it wrong. Thank you in advance.

Current setup

SiteA
 > plugins
    .gitIgnore
    file1.asp
    file2.asp
    plugFolder1
    plugFolder2
    plugFolder3

SiteB
 > plugins
    .gitIgnore
    file1.asp
    file2.asp
    plugFolder1
    plugFolder2
    plugFolder3

Expected setup

sourcetree.png

1 answer

0 votes
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 31, 2017

Hi

You are on the right track. Personally I would go with Submodules.

You should be able to add you plugins repository as a submodule to your two site repositories. I believe you have already done this.

Submodules store a reference to a particular commit, so they do not automatically update when you independently update the child, plugin , repository.

The way I tend to manage this is to

• Open each site/parent repository in SourceTree
  • Open the plugin repository in SourceTree
  • Add the plugin/child repository to both parents as a submodule
  • Then add each submodule instance as a new bookmark in SourceTree, naming them in a way that allows you to identify them.

This means you can then work on the submodules semi-independently from the parent, e.g.

• You can make changes on the canonical local instance of the plugin repository, commit them and push them to the host.
  • You can then open the two submodule instances and pull any changes from the host, this will update the commit reference for the submodule held by the site/parent repository.
  • Commit the submodule change in the site/parent repository.

Hope that makes sense.

David August 2, 2017

Thank you so much for your assistance, it's the most information I've been able to get in the last few weeks. It’s in line with I was attempting to do but I doesn’t seem to work because the destination folder already exists in sitesA/B. 

When I create a submodule in siteA/B, I add the following
Soure path/URL: D:\webapps\testSites\sitePlugins
Local relative path: plugins

I get the following error 
git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false -c credential.helper=manager-st submodule add -f D:\webapps\testSites\sitePlugins plugins
'plugins' already exists in the index

As illustrated in my original message

Repo1 
D:\webapps\testSites\siteA\
Repo2 
D:\webapps\testSites\siteB\

The above repos each already have a folder called plugins and it contains files relevant to the site
index.asp
mappings.asp

PluginRepo
D:\webapps\testSites\sitePlugins\

Inside the sitePlugin repo I have;
plugFolder1
plugFolder2

I want to be able to pull the content from PluginRepo into

siteA\plugins
siteB\plugins

I hope you're able to advise me how to deal with this situation. 

David August 9, 2017

I'm sure, I'm not the only one who has come across this scenario before. Am I not explaining/understanding something properly?

Please help!

David September 6, 2017

Is what I'm describing not possible? Can someone please help?

minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 11, 2017

Hi David,

Reading through your response I think the only aproach is to restructure your proects slightly.

Keep

SiteRepo1 
D:\webapps\testSites\siteA\
SiteRepo2 
D:\webapps\testSites\siteB\

With the following respective folders
D:\webapps\testSites\siteA\plugins
D:\webapps\testSites\siteA\plugins

But split your site plugins repo into 2, one each for pluginfolder1 and plugin folder2, as follows:

PluginRepo1
D:\webapps\testSites\sitePlugins\pluginFolder1
PluginRepo2
D:\webapps\testSites\sitePlugins\pluginFolder2

Then you should be able to add each as submodules into the \plugins folder of each site.

Effectively running the following on each site repo

git submodule add -f D:\webapps\testSites\sitePlugins\pluginFolder1 plugins\pluginFolder1

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events