Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting remote to a specific branch?

Benjamin Allison August 21, 2014
So I understand the value of branching, but one thing is confusing me. I have my local repo. I push changes to a remote, which has a post receive hook setup to write files on a website. So I create a branch (new-branch) to try out something. I edit files, commit, and push to the remote. Great. Problem is, while the repo on my remote is up to date, I guess it's still set to master,as the changes in new-branch aren't reflected on the site. How do I set the remote to a particular branch so that that branch is driving the post receive hook, and not just defaulting to the master branch? I would just merge on master but I'm not ready to as I'm still working out the kinks on the branch.

2 answers

0 votes
Graham Stewart August 22, 2014

While I can not answer your question specifically, I found that A Successful Git branching model written by Vincent Driessen http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/provided an explanation on how to create a workflow that handled separate branches for developement and production code.

There are also some excellent tutorials on different workflows with git on the atlassion website as well.

Graham

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2014

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events