Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST trying to do preview of mdf and log.ldf files !!!?

Jasmin Ibrisimbegovic April 21, 2014

Is this software really so stupid or its just my ignorance.

How do I tur off file preview ?

4 answers

0 votes

Actually I did want to just Ignore those files, but ST start preview and crashed.

also you said:

>you should be able to right click > ignore them in SourceTree.

Well its not possible. You have first choose "Stop tracking" and then you have "Ignore" option

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2014

Ok. If "Stop tracking" is an option, then those files are already committed to Git. The only way to ignore changes to them is to tell Git to stop tracking them, which will delete them from the repository, but not your working copy.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2014

I see.

Versioning active database files is a very bad idea. If you want to use Git (or any other versioning system) to store past versions of your database, you should do so with database backup/dump files (.sql), not the actual database files themselves.

If you do not actually want to version these files, but they are located in your working copy, you should be able to right click > ignore them in SourceTree.

The main problem is that the files you are currently versioning represent part of a specific runtime state of your database. They depend on matching states in other parts of the system, such as other files (which you may also be versioning), but also potentially system data that could be stored in the registry or elsewhere.

Secondly (as you've discovered), storing binary database files completely prevents you from being able to preview or diff the files in/between revisions. If a commit message is missing or unclear, it is anybody's guess what changes have actually been made.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12937101/how-to-version-control-sql-server-database-with-visual-studios-git-source-contr

0 votes

because they are SQL DB files and becasue ST crashes when try to preview them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_SQL_Server#Data_storage

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2014

I have no idea what mdf files are or why it would be stupid to preview them.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events