SSH not working on SourceTree?

Tom Williamson June 16, 2013

I have set up SourceTree to use SSH but it does not appear to be working.
Whenever I try to do a fetch from our remote repository, I get prompted for a username and password.
When I enter the correct username and password, this is what I get (in the space marked XXXX, SourceTree puts my ACTUAL PASSWORD):

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false fetch --prune origin
Access denied
Access denied
Access denied
Access denied
FATAL ERROR: Server sent disconnect message
type 2 (protocol error):
"Too many authentication failures for XXXXXXXX"
fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
Completed with errors, see above.

So not only does the SSH auth not work, I can't even use username/password auth. Does anybody have any ideas?

5 answers

1 accepted

18 votes
Answer accepted
Tom Williamson June 19, 2013

I was able to fix the problem by changing from "Putty/Plink" SSH to "OpenSSH" for the SSH provider. No idea why this helped, but it works now.

Noc Psn February 15, 2018

I had this problem for days and spent many hours on it.... And this solved it!!!! Do this!

Thanks

Like Gaurav Singh likes this
swapnil manjrekar October 16, 2018

Thanks, i also had the same problem for days and today with your guidance i was able to fix it!

Mathew Godia November 8, 2019

Wiser words have never been spoken. Thanks. This works

8 votes
Tobias Hopp February 27, 2019

Wooooow, this answer is priceless.

It still does the job in 2019. Awesome and thank you!

God, this issue cost me around 3 days to find out.

This one worked for me as well. Thank you!

SSH-Bug.png

amol Chaware September 24, 2019

Can you please tell me the path?

amol Chaware September 25, 2019

I am still facing the same issue

0 votes
Bittsitt September 26, 2013

Works now, thanks!

0 votes
Bittsitt September 25, 2013

I see the same problem when trying to use putty without keys (only username and password).

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2013

Please try with today's release (1.2.3), a couple of refinements have been added for URLs which don't include the user name and manual login is used.

0 votes
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2013

Hi Tom,

This is very unusual behaviour. The error you're seeing which is showing your password is output from Git itself. Could you tell me more about your SSH setup? You've set up your id_rsa and id_rsa.pub keys in ~/.ssh/ and the URL for that repository has an SSH URL format? It looks like to me it's prompting for auth because it can't find any which could mean a number of things.

With further information we'll gladly be able to help.

Cheers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events