SSH agent with Source Tree on Mac

_baseten January 17, 2018

I've recently upgraded to Mac OS 10.13 from 10.11. I also upgraded my sourcetree to the latest version (I can't remember what version I had before that unfortunately).

I have sourcetree setup to use SSH keys with both GitHub and Bitbucket and I've connected both accounts under preferences > accounts.

Previously when I would do a push, the first push of the day would ask me for my SSH key passphrase, but then I would be able to interact with the remote repo without needing to enter it again (presumably SSH agent was running in the background somewhere).

Now whenever I do a push I get a box saying "Password Required For user git on host github.com", which is different to the box I used to receive asking for my passphrase. Entering the passphrase seems to work for this and there is an option to store the password in the keychain, but I don't want to do this (otherwise what's the point in the passphrase). How can I set this up so it works like it used to, presumably interacting correctly with SSH agent?

1 answer

1 vote
Manju
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 18, 2018

There are some changes in the OpenSSH on macOS that causes these issues. More details can be found in Apple's Technical Note - https://developer.apple.com/library/content/technotes/tn2449/_index.html

You can check if the keys are loaded to the agent and if not, load them manually. This would just work fine with Sourcetree.

To check if key is loaded, use this command

ssh-add -l 

To load keys, use this command

ssh-add <path_to_key> 

e.g.,

ssh-add ~/.ssh/id_rsa 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events