Restore files deleted during an old commit

DanB May 22, 2015

Hi,

I have the id of a commit in which a bunch of files were erroneously deleted.  There have been hundreds of commits since.  What I'd like to do is restore these deleted files.

I've pulled the git repo down to SourceTree and clicked 'Jump To' then selected 'Commit...'.  In there I pasted the commit id and searched.  I now have the commit highlighted in the main window.

So from here, how do I (a) locate the files I need to revert (I know which ones I'm looking for but can't find out how to see them in this commit) and (b) how do I then revert these files so that they're back in the most up to date commit?

Do I need to right-click the commit containing the deleted the files and check it out?  If so, that tells me it's going to create a 'deatached head' - is this okay?

Thanks for any pointers folks.  As a git noob I really appreciate any assistance, no matter how simple this may seem to some.

1 answer

0 votes
Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2015

Please read my answer to a very similar question here.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events