Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset Head in Source Tree?

OC2PS July 20, 2014

Ok, I did something stupid.

I have forked a repo on Github. I made some changes, commited them into one commit, pushed that to my fork, and then on Github I created a pull request for the project owner (upstream).

Only, the project owner rightly rejected the commit as it is practically incomprehensible. What I should have done is broken down the diff into 6 different bite-sized commits.

So, I'd like to fix this now. I'd like to revert my last commit. I don't want to lose the changes - just to uncommit them, so that I can pick and choose the changes I want to include in new, smaller commits.

Can Sourcetree help me with that?

1 answer

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2014
  1. Right-click on the last good commit (the one before the one you need to take into pieces).
  2. Select "Reset current branch to this commit".
  3. In the dialog that comes up, select the "Soft" option.

This will turn all commits above the reset point into uncommitted changes and you can commit them again as needed. (Afterwards, you will need to force push the results, because you are going to rewrite history.)

OC2PS July 20, 2014

It's you again Balazs! Thanks, you are a life saver.

Question: Would right-clicking the wrong commit and choosing Reverse Commit also have the same effect?

Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2014

:)

Reverse commit creates a commit which has the opposite of the changes of the original one, so that they "cancel out" in the end. It will put the latest state of the repo back to where it was, but you will not have the changes in the working copy to commit again.

If you create a second clone, you can also check out the current head in both, revert the commit in the first, copy over the changed files from the second to the first and then commit the changes in the first, on top of the revert. This spares you the force push in the end, but it is a bit more tedious.

Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 20, 2014

As far as I know, you cannot force push from SourceTree, you have to do it from the command line:

git push origin --force

OC2PS July 20, 2014

Ok, I managed to get the working copy right. (reset to the commit previous to this patch). How do I force push to github so that my fork on github goes back to this as well? At the moment, my local repo is (obviously) one commit behind the github origin.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events