Repository Type: This is not a valid source path / URL

Zach Russell December 8, 2013

I cannot add repositories to Sourcetree on Windows. This includes opening local repositories (existing) as well as remote repositoreis from Github and Bitbucket. When I try to get more info, a blank popup window appears. I don't know what is going on but I essentally can't use sourcetree on windows.

Other notes: I used cygwin to create the local repository, though I doubt it makes a difference.

Thanks in advance from your help

2 answers

2 votes
Jeff Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 9, 2013

Hi Zach,

This could be related to the version of Git that SourceTree is using. You can check that with Tools > Options > Git and should see the version used at the bottom of the window. Which version of Git are you using and is it the embedded or system Git?

Try updating the embedded Git version and using it.

srcontreras April 21, 2019

Solved my problem..thanks

0 votes
Sean Newell August 25, 2017

Windows 10, using Bitbucket Server. I believe my root cause was during the install of SourceTree 2.1.2.5 it failed to unzip PortableGit.7z, even though I have 7-Zip installed and 7z file type association. Resolution was to copy git_local (includes git executables) from a coworker to C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\git_local, and that allowed me to enable Tools->Options->Git "Use Embedded Git". This resolved the invalid URL error, though I have no idea how the average user with this unzip failure would find the necessary files.

Separately I also had to do this workaround to allow Bitbucket to open SourceTree:

1. In the SourceTree menu select Tools->Options
  2. On the General tab, towards the top, I un-checked and then re-checked the “Use this version of SourceTree for URI association” checkbox (You need to do this step even if the checkbox is checked already.) Click OK

This workaround allows Clone in SourceTree to work in Bitbucket.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events