Pulling changes in SourceTree caused a merge without asking

Tim Baker June 9, 2017

I have been working on Branch A and Branch B today, commiting changes during the day ready to push at the end of the day.

Someone else has been working on branch B today also, so before I pushed my changes, I pulled theirs. So with Branch B checked out, the number of commits to pull was 4, and the number to push was 2, but after doing the pull, the pull number went up (can't remember the exact number) and the number of commits to push went up aswell, to 18. So I pulled again and then pushed, thinking they were automatic conflict resolutions, only to then discover one of the items was a merge, taking my changes from Branch A earlier in the day into Branch B - really not what I wanted.

This isn't the first time I have had this issue, but the first time I thought I must have done something by accident, this time I know for sure I haven't.

"Commit merged changes automatically" was checked, is there anyway this could have caused it? Have I done something wrong here? What could have caused this?

1 answer

0 votes
rrudnicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 12, 2017

Hi Tim, 

Your thoughts make sense. 

By enabling the Commit merged changes immediately you give sourcetree the permission to do a commit directly/automatically if there were no merge conflicts.

Cheers, 
Renato

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events