Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent SourceTree from settings core.excludesfile

Nick Dancer January 31, 2016

I seem to be in a bit of an endless loop with configuring my git excludes file in SourceTree.

My global git config is kept in `~/.config/git/config`. My global git ignore is stored next to the config file at `~/.config/git/ignore`. This is the default value for core.excludesfile and as such is detected even when that settings is not defined in my config file.

The problem lies in the fact that SourceTree somewhat randomly will decide that my excludes file needs to be set. It then sets it to `~/.gitignore_global`.

Just trying to understand if theres anything in particular i'm doing that is causing this to reoccur.

1 answer

0 votes
childnode January 31, 2016

First of all:

check your sourceTree global git config in preferences

Bildschirmfoto 2016-02-01 um 07.37.27.png

it's typically set to ~/.gitignore_global. You might fix this manually and reset this to what is configured in core.excludesfile.

If you ask me: it's a bug that this is configured by default. While you can see, the new .config/git global ignore file was introduced in 1.9.x release (refer to git-scm.com/docs/gitignore) it seems to be common practice from the past to change this, like github documents it.

Unfortunatly another default setting will always reset this:

Bildschirmfoto 2016-02-01 um 07.45.42.png

check this and turn it off, I have much less problems without it too.

Feel free to check back the issue tracker and file a bug request for this.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events