Please re-implement the repository treeview

rainerhilmer April 30, 2017

I started Sourcertee today, got an update and there is no repo treeview anymore! I have organized my repos in subcategories and now I have (just for example) several "Spikes" folders in a simple list. I can't see anymore to which projects those spike folders belong! As long as this is not fixed, is there any way to move back to the old style?

3 answers

2 votes
tgix-msa May 7, 2017

I really second that - the treeview also provided a great way to see if you had stuff to commit at the end of the day or if there were stuff to pull from other project. :-(

Lawrence Dol May 8, 2017

I concur with this. It's exactly how I double-check that nothing is left uncommitted to the central repo at the end of the day.

Massimiliano Gugnali May 25, 2017

totally agree!

1 vote
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2017

There are now several suggestions on jira.atlassian.com requesting this, if people want to watch/vote:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-7176

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-7163

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-7156

Shane Rogers May 10, 2017

Voted. I'm downgrading until they either fix this or I find something better. 

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 1, 2017

Hi Rainer, I don't know if there are plans to "fix it" as removing the repository treeview was a decision made by the SourceTree team based on our user feedback. 

If you'd like to go back to an older version, you can use one of the following links and replace the version in this example for the version you want:

Keep in mind that older versions might contain bugs or issues that have already been fixed in newer releases, we always recommend using the latest one.

Lastly, if it's important for you to have this feature implemented again, you can send us your feedback at https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa.

Hope this helps!

Ana

Alex Steffes May 3, 2017

Thank you Ana for this explanation.

Who are these users giving feedback? How many repos did they have bookmarked on average? Are these people employeed or employeed at a small or large company? 

When there is Show/Hide Bookmarks in the View menu what kind of user feedback justifies to completely rip it out?

This feature is why I use SourceTree and is what I believe makes it powerful and unique. 

rainerhilmer May 4, 2017

The treeview was a great feature to organize/categorize repositories. Add the fact that the new list is not even sorted and doesn't give us an option to sort the list. Sorry but currently the repository list is a total mess! I am going to roll back to an older version of Sourcetee. What a shame but thanks for the link.

Geoff Sokoll May 9, 2017

@Ana Retamal: "removing the repository treeview was a decision made by the SourceTree team based on our user feedback".  

I find that a little hard to believe.  I browsed this forum for all posts tagged with either "bookmark" or "bookmarks" and there was not a single post where a user suggested removing the repo treeview...

Vladislav Kiselev May 10, 2017

Like Geoff said, it looks like there were no user requests for removing. But there are a lot of requests to return it back.

What is the reason to reduce interface usability?

DragonFyre May 11, 2017

This is not a reasonable answer anymore.  As you stated previous versions may have bugs/issues with them.  And now you just announced that there is a security vulnerability on any version prior to 2.0.20.1 and you are not fixing it for previous versions, sooo  ...  please bring back the bookmarks/treeview repo menu!

Janet Cross May 11, 2017

So I either struggle with the new version and get the fix for the security issue and receive issues, or downgrade to an earlier, buggy version in which I can manage my multiple projects with multiple repos with ease. Not exactly an enticing pair of options Atlassian.

rainerhilmer May 16, 2017

Just thinking: Why is it still called "SourceTREE" when there's no tree anymore??? :(
The treeview was one of the main features which made it stand out against other git UIs. The way it is now I could as well go back to TortoiseGit!

While I'm at it, where is the feature to combine several commits to one?

Nathan Niesen January 15, 2018

Restoring the repository TreeView (SRCTREEWIN-7176) has the 2nd highest vote count of any open issue "project = SRCTREEWIN AND status in (Open, "In Progress", Reopened, "Needs Verification", Verified) ORDER BY votes ".

Nathan Niesen January 15, 2018

Also, most of the functionality exists in the "New tab" view of "Local repositories" so really it just needs to be made dockable, re-opened on start-up, and single/double-click to activate existing tab. I realize people had issues with the Tree and Tabs not being "synchronized/linked" in 1.9 but the current version is much worse.

Yener Ibrahim July 9, 2018

"based on our user feedback" smells pure fake.

Could you please prove it? I want to know what kind of idiot suggested to remove bookmarks.

New UI is soooo terrible, even i cannot find to correct words to describe it. All i do is back and forth between Repo window and another damn window even i don't know how to call that damn thing.

Osmone Everony July 10, 2018

This is indeed fake. There are several threads about this and someone searched for such removal requests but he could not find a single one!

Image already added

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events