Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password request dialog continually displays

Glenn Taylor August 11, 2017

We recently decommissioned an old server that was an internal GIT remote. Now the password dialog "Windows Security"  "Git Credential Manager for Windows" prompts quite often for my username / password. I click Cancel or enter my credentials but it just reappears shortly. This starts fairly soon after I open SourceTree but continues after I close it.

I have removed all accesses that I can find, and even did a text search for the server name and edited it out of some SourceTree data files to no avail. I removed all references in the Windows credential manager that I could find. Right now, I just ignore the dialog and things all work fine.

Any ideas on how to clear out the reference to this server?

1 answer

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2017

You can try this, run this in Git Bash/command line

git config --edit --system
and remove helper = manager and save the change.
Also run git config --edit --global and under [core] set askpass to
askpass = 

That should hopefully take care of it.
Glenn Taylor August 14, 2017

Doesn't that just turn off the feature of using the credential manager? I have other repos that I want to use the manager for. I just need to remove this obsolete one from the list. I will experiment with these settings when it gets too annoying though.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2017

Yes, it will turn off the Git Credential Manager for Windows, but not the one that SourceTree is using.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events