Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On Windows 10 my commits always show as 'unknown <myemail@domain.com>'

m r July 14, 2016

I have researched this twice now, and everyone with this problems seems to have a different variation.  I have checked my configuration both through the UI and in the file it is saved in - both have my name.  I have no idea why my email address shows up but my name doesn't.  It's not just for a few commits either, it is every single commit for months.  

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
m r July 19, 2016

I solved it.  I don't know which of these things did it:

1. Tools -> Options -> General -> Uncheck 'Allow SourceTree to modify your global...'
  2. Close SourceTree
  3. Open SourceTree
  4. Put the checkbox back, AND make sure your username doesn't have spaces.  I'm not sure if this matters, but I did it anyway
  5. I also went to every repository setting ->Advanced and unchecked/rechecked use global user settings

0 votes
m r July 15, 2016

I was checking it here: C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\git_local\etc\gitconfig

That no longer appears.  I do see a config under C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\git_local\mingw32\etc but my username is no longer in there.  

I thought by going to Tools -> Options and checking 'Allow SourceTree to Modify your global Git and Mercurial config files' that this would work.  I have also looked in each repository settings to make sure that username exists.  It does. 

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2016

Which config file did you check?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events