Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Gitflow causes loss of data

James Pitchford June 12, 2015

Each time I try to add a new GitFlow action (e.g. to add a new feature or hotfix)  to my local git file in SourceTree the Head seems to revert back to some very old position, causing recent data to be lost. There doesn't seem to be a way to restore the lost data other than by using a TimeMachine backup.

What am I doing wrong?

1 answer

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2015

Gitflow always creates those branches from the "develop" branch (or whatever branch name you've configured gitflow to use in that position". If you've stopped updating that branch, it would cause what you're describing.

James Pitchford June 15, 2015

Seth

Thanks for the response - yes that does seem to be the case. Being new to GIT, how do I finish updating the "develop", without loosing it (I don't want to merge that branch) so that GITFlow attaches to the current Head.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2015

I'm not sure what you're going for. You say you want to update develop, but you don't want to merge anything into develop? What does this mean? If you want to get more recent commits into develop, you'll need to merge. Is there a reason you don't want to do that?

James Pitchford June 15, 2015

Seth

I'm probably not used to the correct GIT terminology. I have a branch that is labelled "develop" that I was working on some time ago, but that has some incomplete code in it. I would like to return to complete this later.

Now, I would like to use Gitflow to add some new branches to the work I am currently doing but it keeps reverting to the "develop" branch as described earlier.

What do I need to do to get out of this loop?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events