Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to move changes to a branch

John Johnson February 4, 2014

I commited some changes to my develop (center, purple) branch since the point in the screenshot (which may or may not be attached below, if not, it's at the link) marked Created beta release. I have since decided that the changes are too extensive, and want to move all changes on the center purple branch since Created beta release to their own branch. This would leave the develop branch as tagged at 3.6.1.4.

I'm somewhat new to git, and find rebase, etc. a bit overwhelming. I also don't want to hose my repository. Thanks for your help.

My Branches

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2014

There are two ways to do this.

Resetting develop to an older commit will leave a cleaner history, but will mess up any other developers who have already pulled the changes into their local copies of develop.

Reverting the changes will create a new commit that puts dev back at the desired state, which other developers will be able to pull seamlessly, but the history will still show that the changes were once in develop.

Either way, you should back up the local repo first, and do not push anywhere until you are 100% sure that you've got the result you want.

John Johnson February 4, 2014

Thanks Seth.

Git refused to push, but I found an option on Assembla to allow --force. After enabling the option, I was able to push my deletions. For safety's sake, I turned it back off.

I wasn't sure how to save the changes that I made in the branch, so I just checked each one out and tar'ed the changed files.

Thanks for the help!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events