Need some guidence on rolling SourceTree out within our office.

Patrick O'Hara June 1, 2014

We are in the process of switching to Git. We have purchased your Stash server and have settled on using either msysgit or SourceTree as the "supported" clients. I am in the process of giving training on Git and how it differs from our previous source control tool (ClearCase). As I have been putting together the installation instructions I am disappointed by two things.

1) It appears that everyone will need to register with Atlassian to get a license for SourceTree. I would prefer to point people to a license file, but it appears that the license file is user specific.

2) It does not appear that you have any type of tutorial for SourceTree. Although I am giving Git training I am using the command line in my training because that is the lingua franca of the Git world and because some of us will be using the command line. I understand that much of using SourceTree is fairly obvious to someone familiar with Git, but there are things that are not. Some of the settings, finding rebase on the context menu of a commit, etc. It would be nice to have a say 20 minute tutorial that goes over this stuff, assuming that the user is already familiar with Git.

Thanks for the great products, obviously if those are my only complaints I am very happy with both Stash and SourceTree.

Pat O

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Cathy Sanders June 2, 2014

With regards to question 1, we had the same type of question and the answer we received from Atlassian was to register for SourceTree using an enterprise email address:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/166460/what-is-the-best-way-to-register-for-sourcetree-licenses-as-an-enterprise?page=1#166825

We generally script our installs and include copying the license file into the appropriate location on the user's machine.

Git is definitely a bit of a mind switch from ClearCase. There are times I still miss my version trees...

Patrick O'Hara June 2, 2014

Thanks, not sure why a search for SourceTree license did not find that. I am not aware of a "corporate email" account, but I can look into it. Seems like SourceTree with Stash should be automatically licensed to me, but it is not too much of a bother.

0 votes

Turns out it was more work than I am willing to pursue to find/create a corporate email. Just going to tell everyone to register.

0 votes
Cathy Sanders June 2, 2014

Our team has a mailbox within our corporate system that we were able to use. You could probably also use the address for someone that is considered the Atlassian account representative (such as the contact for your Stash licenses). We just had an option already available for us that was more generic instead of all of the license files containing the contact as a single person.

Makes sense and we may have such a thing, I am just not aware of it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events