My local Working folder is not recognized as a valid git working copy in Sourcetree?

I have a valid git working copy on my local hard drive that by some reason the folder was not available when I started Source Tree yesterday .

When I try to add this working directory to sourcetree, I get an error saying it isn't a valid working directory. I've tried two ways:

1. File > Open > Select Directory

Error: the path 'somepath/workingdir' is not a valid Git repository working copy.

2. Push the Clone/New button. Select the "Add Working Copy" tab. Select the correct working copy path.

Repository Type: This is not a valid working copy path.

I remember that I was prombted to update my License When I started Source Tree and I accepted to it.

I'm using Windows 8 with Sourcetree 1.6.14.0

2 answers

First, please verify that your folder is indeed a valid Git clone.

You can do this e.g. by opening a command prompt to the folder and executing

git fetch

Unless the fetch runs successfully, there is something wrong with your clone.

That sounds like the kind of error SourceTree displays if it doesn't have or can't find the git executable itself. Does SourceTree work with other repositories?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Oct 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configure your repos for hosting goodness!

Supported Platforms macOS Windows We recently introduced support for additional hosting services such as GitHub Enterprise, GitLab (Cloud, Community Edition, Enterprise Edition), and...

847 views 3 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you