Multiple freezes and crashes

pierre-d October 3, 2017

Good morning,

My team and I have been using SourceTree for quite a while now (2+ years) and were quite satisfied.
However, it's been about 2/3 months that it became almost literally a nightmare.
Indeed, here is a non-exhaustive list of the issues encountered so far:

1) Extreme slownesses when it comes to pulling/pushing on our repos. Please note that this does not happen on all repos and not all the time.
But when it does happen it takes up to 10 minutes to finally do the trick.
2) 50% of the time, I do not have the information of possibles commits needed to be pulled displayed. I mean that the visual information is being displayed only 50% of the time. I am now forced to always pull whether something has been comitted or not.
Moreover, this pulling process sometimes takes also up to 10 minutes (cf. point 1) and may make SourceTree crash ("SourceTree is not responding....").
3) Opening a repo (that I have already cloned) may also take up to 5/10 minutes and may also make SourceTree crash.

Now I know that I do not provide you with a lot of information but I did try to troubleshoot it (uninstall/reinstall, grabbed the latest version, closed processes on my workstation, etc..) but nothing worked.
It was going so smooth before that I am really concerned about it.

Could you please enlighten me? Has anything happened on the product that I am not aware of?

FYI: I run Windows 7 64bits, I have a quite powerfull workstation, those slownesses/crashes also occur on some of my coworkers workstations running windows 10 or ubuntu.

Thanks in advance

2 answers

0 votes
pierre-d October 30, 2017

Hello Michael,

I am using Git 1.9.5.
I have a varying amount of repos opened, it goes from 3 to 10 and we have, overall 25 repos accessible.
I wouldnt be able to tell you "how large/complex" they are however, could you tell me what you're looking for?

BR

minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 30, 2017

Hi Pierre.

For what its worth I'd strongly advise updating your Git version. If you are using the embedded version in Sourcetree you can do it via the Tools/Options/Git tab. Otherwise download and install the latest release.

There have been a number of security fixes, authentication changes and performance improvements between 1.9.5 and 2.14.

As for 'complexity', some information around these would be helpful:

Are you using submodules?
Do you store projects on shared/network folders?
Do you repositories have a large, 10k+, commit history and do you navigate back through the history much?
Do you have many active local branches?
Do you have more than 1 remote?

Thanks

0 votes
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 3, 2017

Hi

Sourcetree 2.x switched to using libgit2 for most read actions. For most repositories this is quicker on windows than using the git.exe.

However it does not improve performance for all repositories.

In the Tools/Options/Git tab, at the bottom, there is an option to 'disable libgit2 integration'

Can you try this and see if this improves performance?

Can you also let us know what version fo Git you are running, embedded or system and can you give us some indication of the number of repositories you have open and how large/complex they are?

pierre-d October 3, 2017

Hello Michael,

It helped a lot!!

Thanks, I have tried it on my workstation and on one of my coworkers. It increased greatly the performances (now we don't have to wait 5/10 mins to pull/push/commit/clone a repo/etc ...).

Thanks again!

Pierre

Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
October 3, 2017

Quick question: does your repo have submodules in it?

pierre-d October 30, 2017

Hello Mike,

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't receive the notification.
I am no sure of what you are talking about, how could I check?

BR

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events