Moving from Windows to Mac

Clive Walker August 15, 2016

I'm moving from Windows to Mac and have SourceTree on both. My SourceTree on Mac has recognised my repository (stored on other cloud storage) but it is saying that many files are new and have changes, when in fact they don't. I'm guessing that this is because Mac file system looks like a new version of the repo? Can I safely commit these to Bitbucket or should I be doing this another way?

Thanks for your help.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2016

I'm not quite sure, but this looks like a CarriageReturn/LineFeed issue ...

To avoid future trouble with this, you should have a look at "AutoCrLF" in https://git-scm.com/book/tr/v2/Customizing-Git-Git-Configuration and at .gitattributes

0 votes
thinsoldier
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2016

It's also possible the file permissions differences are being detected on Mac. 

When you are working on your local development environment, sometimes you need to change permissions on various files. If any of those files are being tracked by Git, then Git thinks there has been a change to the file but in reality it was simply a permissions change. To ignore these changes, go to Terminal in the root of your git repo and type:

git config core.filemode false

From now on git will ignore any filemode changes!

Written by
 Danny Englander
0 votes
Clive Walker August 16, 2016

OK, I will look into configuration options. Thanks.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events