Manual refresh required to see changed files

Chas Emerick September 13, 2012

I have 'Refresh automatically when files change' ticked in the preferences, but I still need to hit Refresh manually in order to get changed files to show up in the File Status view.

Note that if I go straight to the Commit sheet, changed files are shown there without any manual intervention. FWIW, going to the Commit sheet and canceling does not shake loose the working tree view in the main window.

10 answers

1 accepted

17 votes
Answer accepted
Chas Emerick April 10, 2013

This hasn't been a problem for me for some time. I discovered that removing all repository bookmarks eliminated the problem. After some number of updates, bookmarks no longer appear to affect the auto-refresh behaviour.

Piotr Tekien January 15, 2020

The problem is that the first tab is broken, I got it as well.

The easiest temporary fix that works permanently is to create a Trash folder and make a new Local empty repository and set it to that Trash folder

Use that repository as Placeholder for your FIRST tab and your other projects starting from your second tab should automatically refresh Stage/Unstage and other UI updates after restarting SourceTree.

Like # people like this
Piotr Tekien January 31, 2020

Fixed in the newest version, look for my newest reply on this page.

Like # people like this
dmarfurt January 31, 2020

Actually, the newest version is what broke this for me. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but the problem persisted. Chas Emerick's solution fixed it for me.

Like # people like this
cpa-nmasen February 3, 2020

The "newest version" aforementioned is 3.3.8 but Sourcetree will still claim there are no updates when manually checking for updates in Options, using v3.3.7.

It's probably not officially released yet.

Mike Ball February 19, 2020

Newest version was exhibiting this precise behavior, and deleting all bookmarks did in fact fix the refresh problem.

Thiếu tá Phạm Xuân Bách April 7, 2020

My newest version is only 3.3.6.3829, no newer when manually checking for updates in Options. (2020/04/08)

Still have that problem, removed bookmark repository as Chas Emerick Apr 10, 2013 and problem solved

Rahul Bhave November 24, 2020

This issue still persist for me. I have moved my repo to second tab, but I still need to switch tab once to make it refresh unlike earlier when had to refresh manually everytime.

12 votes
martin.lockett January 7, 2020

Deleting and recreating bookmarks worked for me. The problem started when I moved my project folder (including the repos) to an external drive

Gentile, Kevin January 7, 2020

This worked for me.

* Windows 10 Enterprise 10.0.17763 Build 17763.

* SourceTree 3.3.6 [22 November 2019]. 

Like # people like this
Jordan January 14, 2020

The described problem with auto refresh has been arisen after updating to the version 3.3.6. No movements of any projects to other folders have been performed. Will try your solution!

André Santiago January 14, 2020

I can confirm that this solved my problem as well. It also happened to me after updating to version 3.3.6.

Sherwin Faria January 14, 2020

Same thing happened to me after updating to 3.3.6. Removing the bookmarks appears to have fixed it.

Like seesharp likes this
ALEXANDROS KESANOPOULOS January 15, 2020

You mean the tabs, right?

It also happened to me when upgraded to 3.3.7 

Jordan January 15, 2020

It means that the problem is not fixed in 3.3.7. Hm...

No, people means the bookmarks - the list of local repositories appearing when you click the plus sign (+) close to the tabs.

For me, removing and adding back all the bookmarks fixes the problem NOT COMPLETELY (e.g. reverted changes do not disappear from the list).

Like arapp likes this
ALEXANDROS KESANOPOULOS January 15, 2020

For me it seems that only closing all tabs and re-opening them worked without re-creating any bookmarks.

michal.baranec January 20, 2020

I also face the same issue with 3.3.6. When I try to close the tabs it does nothing, however. Tried to close a single tab, all tabs, but nothing works. Is anyone experiencing the same issue?

Alex Hart January 21, 2020

I also updated to 3.3.6 and had the same issue of no auto-refresh. Deleting all bookmarks fixed it. I have to admit though: I had no idea "bookmarks" even existed until this thread.

hylander0 January 22, 2020

^^^^^

Yes what everyone else is saying.  3.3.6 and first tab doesn't auto-refresh.

jprice1967 January 24, 2020

Deleting and re-making my bookmarks fixed this for me, for now.  I completely reinstalled and the issue went away, only to return a short time after...  Hopefully it stays fixed this time.

Dominic Haesner January 30, 2020

Deleting the bookmarks also worked for me. Thanks alot

Fixed in the newest version!
https://product-downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/ga/ReleaseNotes_3.3.8.html

Downloadable at
https://product-downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/ga/SourceTreeSetup-3.3.8.exe

This download link is not yet available on the website, but I figured out to just change the url myself from their existing download links.

Like # people like this
4 votes

Fixed in the newest version!
https://product-downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/ga/ReleaseNotes_3.3.8.html

Downloadable at
https://product-downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/ga/SourceTreeSetup-3.3.8.exe

This download link is not yet available on the website, but I figured out to just change the url myself from their existing download links.

BukeMan February 25, 2020

Worked for me! Updated on Windows 10 (1903) from v3.3.6 to v3.3.8 and problem was gone. Thanks!

1 vote
ron_a_williams February 19, 2014

I know this is an old post but I was still experiencing this issue after a newer install on my laptop just a few months ago. Deleting and recreating bookmarks solved the problem as stated above.

1 vote
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2013

A bit more than 13GB would be desirable. IIRC, Apple recommends 20-30GB of free disk space. Yes, you can refresh manually by hitting Cmd+R which will force refresh. As we say, usually it's due to limited system resources. SourceTree relies on Git/Hg itself to report back the status of the files, so if there's limited system resources (memory, disk space etc.) then Mercurial/Git will take a long time to report back and therefore SourceTree can't update.

0 votes
naveenverma April 9, 2020

Hi All,

It is now working fine by just doing one step below

1. Click on Explorer

It will work fine and refresh itself on focus.

Thanks

Naveen Verma

0 votes
Marcel Bradea April 11, 2013

Thanks a lot for that insight. Helps to know a bit about what's going on under the hood. Cheers. :)

0 votes
Marcel Bradea April 10, 2013

I have been experiencing the same problem for the last few months. The repository used to refresh automatically but now it never re-syncs regardless of the 'Refresh automarically when files change' setting. The filter options I have on in the file status view are "Flat View" and "Show Pending" (presuambly the default).

What could be the cause of this? Space-wise I have over 13GB left, and the hard-drive is an SSD (if that matters).

Also is there any way to refresh it (button, menu item, keyboard shortcut) other than closing and reponing the repository view?

0 votes
Marcel Bradea April 10, 2013

I have been experiencing the same problem for the last few months. The repository used to refresh automatically but now it never re-syncs regardless of the 'Refresh automarically when files change' setting. The filter options I have on in the file status view are "Flat View" and "Show Pending" (presuambly the default).

What could be the cause of this? Space-wise I have over 13GB left, and the hard-drive is an SSD (if that matters).

Also is there any way to refresh it (button, menu item, keyboard shortcut) other than closing and reponing the repository view?

0 votes
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2013

It can take a while for the refresh to happen under certain circumstances. This is usually due to either limited system resources (hard disk space, etc.). What filter options do you have set in the file status view? i.e. "Show Pending"

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events