Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make it easier to upgrade SourceTree Mercurial

Hugh July 21, 2016

I have just spent several hours in order to upgrade SourceTree Mercurial, something which should be a trivial process with a teeny bit more help from SourceTree to know where to look.

Every time I started SourceTree recently I got the message telling me that the recommended level of Mercurial was >= 3.7.3, but nowhere in the message did it even give me the basic information that I needed to look in "Tools -> Options -> Mercurial". Adding that in the message would have saved me hours. Adding the link directly to the right Options page would have saved me even another minute looking. Not just detecting that Mercurial is out of date, but offering me a "Update Embedded Mercurial" button there in the message would have saved me even this.

I tried the SourceTree update; said my SourceTree was up to date. I went to the internet and researched Mercurial. I downloaded Mercurial and installed. Restarted SourceTree. Rebooted my machine. Reinstalled Mercurial. Went round and round this loop a few times. Looked on my C: drive. Found I had two versions of Mercurial (one in "Program Files\TortoiseHg" directory, one in "Program Files\Mercurial" directory), but both seemed to be the latest.

I eventually found it in the Options menu, found I was using "Embedded Mercurial" and clicked "Update Embedded Mercurial" and 2 seconds later, the job was done.

It's only because we are IT people using SourceTree that we have learnt to be so determined to find how to fix things.

Please though, use the information that SourceTree knows (e.g. where the exact option panel is) to help us not have to spend so much time looking! 

Thank you!

3 answers

0 votes
Michael_Kpow August 17, 2016

Yeah this got me for weeks. Trying to create a support ticket or find an email to support was impossible. The whole thing is a shambles. Link after link taking me no closer to real contact with anyone who might help. So glad I finally stumbled across this. Seeing help in the form of discontent is apt

0 votes
Ryan Potts July 26, 2016

I have stumbled on to this only after allowing SourceTree to update itself.  Now when I start SourceTree I am presented with the warning of the security warning from Mercurial, that I need to upgrde from 3.2.3 to 3.7.3 and then SourceTree promptly exits.  I uninstalled/reinstalled SourceTree to no avail.  I do not use Mercurial stand alone, so I assume it is embedded with SourceTree...  This update has hung me out to dry......  It is not obvious what I need to do clear this conundrum.

Hugh July 26, 2016

Here's the secret (which took me hours to unlock):

• look in "Tools -> Options -> Mercurial"
  • click "Update Embedded Mercurial"

0 votes
Chip Burwell July 21, 2016

Definitely second this!  I didn't spend as much time as Hugh on this before coming here, but your error message is completely unhelpful and more than likely to send people the wrong way. (ie updating their installation of Mercurial which is exactly what I did)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events