Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost staged files

Tyler Durden February 23, 2016

Yesterday, after a hard working - and satisfying - day, I was about to commit all my shit. But in the end I decided to leave it there and commit today. So I staged all my modifications. In the end, without I could tell why, SourceTree seemed to refuse to stage my last file, and seemed to hang...

This morning, I cannot find any of my earlier staged files. Neither in SourceTree nor in the directories on my hard drive ! All my modifications just vanished...

I'm using SourceTree 1.6.22 for a few days now, and I'm seriously considering to throw it away plain and simple. Has anyone any explanation for the fuck that happened to me, and if so, where are my modifications ???

I am a developper since quite some time and have been successfully working for years with CVS, SVN, HG, and GIT. Never had such a terrible experience with any source controlling program...

Best regards though

1 answer

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2016

I've never heard of that sort of behavior happening with SourceTree. The fact that modifications are missing from your working copy doesn't really make sense - staging shouldn't effect your working copy at all, just the Git index. I'm not doubting your account, just baffled as to what could have possibly gone wrong - SourceTree doesn't interact with your files except as a GUI wrapper for git commands.

1.6.22 - sounds like you are on Windows. Do you by chance have the feature turned on where Windows saves versions of files? If so, that might help recover your work.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events