Location of Windows Install - 3.3.8

Jeff Miller March 4, 2020

Good evening!

Just a brief rundown of the specs of my computer... Windows 10 64-bit, 32 GB DDR3 RAM, RTX 2070 with an AMD FX-8750.

I wanted to quickly see where the company has determined would be the best place to place the installed folder for Atlassian Sourcetree. I noticed that the installer creates a folder in "C:\Users\[My user]\AppData\Local\Atlassian". In the "Sourcetree" directory within the root folder, sadly, there is no ".exe" located there. Instead I am met with the following files:

• cache,
  • git_extras,
  • hg_extras,
  • analytics_gas_upload,
  • bookmarks.xml,
  • mcmw.zip,
  • settings.log,
  • sourcetree.log, and
  • [a json file with tokens]

Back in that root folder, I see one more directory:

• SourceTree.exe_Url_[token info]

Diving inside it only provides another directory with "3.3.8.3848" and a few cache files, profile file and a config file inside. that directory.

This seems to be an issue. Can this be elevated?

Additionally, it appears that the install file from this website also acts as a launch file (which means, each time I run Sourcetree, I must run the install file to run Sourcetree... It's a little backwards). Can this be confirmed?

I regrettably must inform that AppData\Roaming does not contain any inkling of Sourcetree and AppData\LocalLow is also empty, in terms of Sourcetree.

Kind Regards,

Jeff

2 answers

1 vote
lmorrison March 10, 2020

The installer creates the "C:\Users\[My user]\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree*" set of subdirectories, which you've already identified.

In addition, it should also create "C:\Users\[My user]\AppData\Local\SourceTree". The actual executable should be stored there.

Different components of the overall application appear to be spread across all of these directories.

1 vote
Andres_Cichero March 4, 2020

Something similar happened to me... there is no Sourcetree app installed in the system, I have to run the installer every time I want to run the app.

I already tried installing/reinstalling, but the installer don't go through the installation process, it just opens the app (with is kite slow)

Is there a Workaround??

SourceTree_installation_issue.png

lmorrison March 10, 2020

(I am assuming you're using Windows 10:)

One workaround is to navigate Windows Explorer to "C:\Users\[My user]\AppData\Local\SourceTree", locate the application "SourceTree.exe", right-click it, and select "Pin to Start".

Alternatively, or in addition, you could also select "Pin to taskbar".

Like Andres_Cichero likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events