Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeps prompting for bitbucket login

Dean O'Connor June 29, 2017

I have had this problem for ages, years. It's totally doing my head in.

I have done clean installs, tried to gouge out any remnants of SourceTree profiles (as far as I can tell), but it just keeps happening.

I continuously get a popup (see inserted photo) that prompts me for my Bitbucket credentials. I have entered them countless times and they are correct. I use them to login to the site just fine. I can push commits to my private Bitbucket repos with them. It doesn't matter what I do, this popup just keeps on trucking.

Any ideas before I put a shovel through my screen !!!!

Am on Windows 10 using SourceTree version 2.1.25. This has been happening on all version as far back as I can remember.

SourceTree_2017-06-29_17-44-44.png

2 answers

20 votes
Deleted user October 20, 2017

This prompt is actually from Git Credential Manager. To avoid it, set the following git configuration values:

[credential]

helper = manager # this is required to use GCM

interactive = false

modalPrompt = false
Steven Zahm April 27, 2018

I've been dealing with this seemingly forever, trying every solution I could find. This here, is the correct answer.

Like # people like this
k76 September 3, 2018

I'm having the same problem as the original poster.

Ben, where do I set these values? Is it in a file somewhere?

I'm using Embedded Git version 2.17.1/LibGit2Sharp 0.24.0 + git-lfs v2.4.2 + Git LFS Bitbucked Adapter v1.0.6 on Windows Sourcetree Version 2.6.10.0.

Thanks in advance!

mikeairey October 11, 2018

Two of the ways you can set these values:

• Edit your .gitconfig file directly. On Windows it should be located at %userprofile%\.gitconfig
  • Use git at the command prompt:
    • `git config --global --replace-all credential.interactive false`
    • `git config --global --replace-all credential.modalPrompt false`
Like # people like this
k76 October 11, 2018

Mike, that did the trick. Thank you, Mike and Ben!

David Freebairn November 14, 2018

This is the solution I've always wanted.

djvangerwen November 29, 2018

To edit the config file in the terminal: `git config --global --edit`

Miquel Vila December 3, 2018

Finally! Thanks for the help Benjamin!

Jesper Evo Matthiesen July 5, 2023

I also had problems with git (2.41.0.windows.1) insisting on asking for password for every remote operation. Disabling the fancy prompt based on the above just resulted in git-askpass.exe being used to prompt for password.

It turns out this can be solved by enabling the "Account Read" permission when creating the app password.

1 vote
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 30, 2017

Hi Dean! Have you tried wiping your SourceTree preferences following these steps already? If after that, the issue still persist, please provide the following information:

• Are you connecting to your repositories via SSH or HTTPS?
  • Can you check that your public/private keys have been set up correctly?
  • Does the URL you've used as the remote include the username (so it's https://user@bitbucket.org/owner/repo and not just https://bitbucket.org/owner/repo)
  • Do you have more than one Bitbucket username?
  • Check Tools > Options > Authentication for your default usernames for particular hosts and saved passwords. Is the info there correct? 

Best regards,

Ana

Dean O'Connor July 1, 2017

Thanks for the reply Ana.

Pretty sure I wiped the prefs previously.

But I yesterday I did remove all projects except for my latest one from the Bookmarks. I haven't noticed the popup today.

So seems to be related to a particular project. Also I might not have always had Pageant running with keys. So it might be combo of your 2nd and 3rd points.

I'll gradually check to see what project might be causing issue.

Thanks again.

julioc August 17, 2017

I have the same issue, without having SourceTree installed.

From inspecting the popup process, it's being spawned by a `git` process, which is child of VS Code. I believe that happens because it's trying to check for any updates available on my remote (it's a https repo).

Even if I enter the correct credentials, it still reopens after a while.

Like matt.lock likes this
matt.lock May 7, 2020

I had this same problem and ended up fixing it by creating an App Password in Bitbucket, and then logging into the login dialog using my username and app password.

Like Carmen JM likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events