Japanese characters in comment turns into '?' when squashing interactively

Miura Takuma May 26, 2014

SourceTree for Windows 1.5.2

default charset = utf8

In the interactive rebase schedule dialog, when I squashed commits with Japanese message, squashed message becomes like "????????????".

Even I rewrite the message, the generated commit still holds a message like "??????????".

Non-ASCII characters seems not dealed with appropriately.

2 answers

0 votes
Miura Takuma June 15, 2014

Thank you Henrique, I should have shared the issue.

0 votes
HenriqueA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 14, 2014

Hi Miura,

I've checked that you've already opened a bug report into jira.atlassian.com, I want to share here the answer from SourceTree developer that can be useful for other users that are facing the same issue:

If the input was via SourceTree then it should definitely be in UTF-8. If you did it via the terminal then you have the option to tell Git (via a config setting) what encoding you're using. If this isn't specified then it defaults to UTF-8. Are you committing from the terminal?

Also, would it be possible to provide us with some output so we could see what encoding the commit content is in? Either you could provide the repository, or alternatively you can call "git cat-file commit <hash>" using the hash of the commit that's showing the question marks, then paste the output in here.

More details can be found on this report:

Kind Regards,
Henrique

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events