Is there an actual guidebook that shows you how to use this software program?

Deleted user June 23, 2016

We downloaded this program to store our documents so that multiple people can work on them. We currently use SmartCVS, but that is not supported on the newest MACs. We found SourceTree to be comparable to CVS for what we need. Though SourceTree is set up somewhat differently. I wanted to know if there are any instructions on how to use all the different commands.

13 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2016

I googled "Sourcetree documentation". This is what I got as the first result. It looks like a user guide to me smile

Thank you!!

1 vote
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2016

Firstly, SourceTree is a UI for two different (similar, but significantly different) systems. Git and Mercurial. You should understand the basics of those systems first, then the SourceTree interface will be self-explanatory.

For Git, check out the "Git Book". Focus on 1.1 through 1.3, and Chapters 2 and 3.

I'm not sure what the best Mercurial documentation is, I only use Git.

Thanks so much!

0 votes
Deleted user June 27, 2016

I meant, not sure why my company isn't allowing us to be able to create repositories when were allowed to do that with CVS. But we do work with a lot of secure materials, so not sure if that's the reason, but my company has become really strict concerning security.

0 votes

With my company you do. We can't download or upgrade any software programs on our computers without IT doing it themselves. Crazy I know. Not sure why more then one person can't create repositories since we were all able to create new modules on CVS. But I'm not surprised my company is doing this. Ridiculous. And thanks for the article. Very helpful.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2016

You shouldn't need admin rights on your own machine. You can create repositories anywhere on your hard drive, so put them in your own home directory.

0 votes

I wish CVS would upgrade their program so it's compatible to the newest MAC... 

0 votes

No, it's our company's rule. Only one person can have admin rights, which is stupid. With CVS anyone could create a repository. 

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2016

Only one person can create repositories? There's no way that's right.

Maybe you mean only one person can create repositories in some sort of hosting service you've selected (Bitbucket, GitHub, etc). That's a limitation of the service provider, not Git or SourceTree.

The Git model (again, this is explained fully in the Git Book) is that repositories that you commit to are ALWAYS LOCAL. Nothing should prevent you from creating a repository on your own computer. Those local repositories can be linked to remote repositories (maybe a hosting service as mentioned, or maybe just a co-worker's computer) from which you can Push and Pull.

0 votes

Thanks Seth. Appreciate your feedback.

I just found out only 1 person can create new repositories, which sucks for everyone in my department who needs to use this program (there's 10 of us) so to only have 1 person able to create all the different repositories is going to be a pain, especially since that one person won't be working in any of those projects.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2016
0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2016

Git allows you to store different repositories (equivalent to CVS modules?) in different locations on your local disk. You can create new ones in SourceTree using Create/New.

Clone Repository - Use to copy a remote repository to a new local location

Add Working Copy - Use to add a repository that already exists locally to your SourceTree bookmarks.

Create New Repository - Use to start a new repository (with no commits) from an existing folder.

The other operations are all sufficiently covered in the Git Book i mentioned in my answer.

0 votes
Deleted user June 24, 2016

Create Module - which I can't seem to figure out how to do on SourceTree.

Check out - ?

Update - which Source tree has

Add - Source tree has

Commit - Commit and Push on Source tree?

Remove - Source tree has

Refresh - pull

I'm trying to figure out how to create different module (repositories?) because it seems that I can only have one folder to house all of our projects, but that's a pain when we have multiple people working on different projects and they are all in the same folder. So basically everyone sees everything. That's too much. In CVS you can download different modules and have them saved in a folder on your desktop and not have to deal with seeing all the other jobs when you are in the CVS window - am I making sense? Hard to type out and explain.

0 votes
thinsoldier
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2016

Which commands are relevant to the way you were using CVS?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events