Is there a more efficient way to review and stage files which requires less scrolling?

Deleted user March 4, 2012

Before staging a file in the index I like to review all of my changes. I highlight the file and then the diffs showup in the Hunk Browser panel. At the top there are buttons to Stage File or Discard. If the file only has minor changes I'm able to review the diff and select stage file.

However, when there are many screens of diffs (maybe I autoformatted code or refactored a really large method in to several smaller methods) I need to scroll. When I get to the bottom and am satisfied I need to scroll all the way to the top to chose Stage File.

It would be nice if the part of the screen that listed the filename, diff stats and Stage/Discard buttons floated so it was always visible or if it was repeated at the bottom.

Or have other people found a different workflow which I'm just missing that would keep me from scrolling so much?

thanks,

chuck

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2012

I understand this point of view, the problem I had with floating is that it got in the way of the diff, and listing it at the end too was confusing when you had multiple files selected. And listing it at the end only just made it harder for people who were at the top of the diff ;)

As a shortcut though, if you're staging the entire file you can hit Cmd-Shift-= to stage the current selection, at any time. Or drag/drop the file from the bottom pane to the upper pane. Or right-click it and Add.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events