Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to prevent SourceTree from crashing when it can't access the Windows Registry?

Charles Wilson November 7, 2016

SourceTree 1.9.6.1 is currently crashing on my machine after startup. I'm running Windows 8 with McAfee installed (by corporate IT). I googled the error, and found this issue reported: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-5481.. However, there's no workaround or fix info attached to the issue. Has anyone experienced and/or resolved this issue? Why does SourceTree need to change registry values? Can that be prevented? 

Application: SourceTree.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.UnauthorizedAccessException
   at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.Win32Error(Int32, System.String)
   at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.SetValue(System.String, System.Object, Microsoft.Win32.RegistryValueKind)
   at SourceTree.AppRoot.RegisterBrowserEmulationModeKey(System.String, System.String, UInt32)
   at SourceTree.AppRoot.OnStartup(System.Windows.StartupEventArgs)
   at SourceTree.App.OnStartup(System.Windows.StartupEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1_0(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
   at SourceTree.App.Main()

1 answer

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2016

I think that Atlassian staff would have to answer your question about what it's trying to write to the registry. Maybe @Jesse Yowell or @Gideon Koh? I can't seem to tag Kieran Senior or Michael Minns.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events