Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it mandatory to always do a complete uninstall of SourceTree before installing a new version?

Robert Karlsson July 6, 2017

So it has i am starting to have problems with the latest version of SourceTree after avoiding to upgrade for many weeks. This time it is complete Freezing of SourceTree and one has to kill the process to be able to continue.

So i am wondering if there is a prerequisit to always compeltely uninstall SourceTree before doing an upgrade? As problems always comes after an upgrade has been done from SourceTree.

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 6, 2017

Hi Robert, from which version to which version were you upgrading? If you were on SourceTree 1.9 or older, uninstalling is necessary. From 1.10 onwards, uninstalling is no longer needed. 

Cheers,

Ana

Robert Karlsson July 7, 2017

Looking at the appData folder, i upgraded from 2.0.x something. Only reason for the upgrade was the security patch. 

But after the upgrade the freezing problem started. It does not happen all the time, but when it starts i have to kill the process multiple times before i will be able to use SourceTree again.

Could be related to looking through the history of branches.

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 13, 2017

Thanks for the extra info, Robert. Can you let us know which SourceTree version are you using now, and in which OS?

Can you also give us more details about the freeze? 

Best regards! 

Ana

Robert Karlsson July 13, 2017

OK......................................................................................................................................... I wrote a long reply and clicked in the wrong place on this screen. And the whole answer was erased. Fantastic!

Here is the short version, 2.1.2.5, Windows 10 Pro.
Mergeing error now. Only 2 of 3 files possible to merge. SourceTree not picking up on changes to files with external merging tool. Kdiff3. No change on merging restart.

Frezzing, kill process, restart, freeze, kill process, restart freeze, kill process. restart working normally again.

Robert Karlsson July 17, 2017

It is ok, this can be closed. After a complete failure to close a release branch and sourcetree not being able to complete merging,  i have decided to move to something more reliable. Like sourcetree used to be 1 year ago.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events