Interactive rebase broken?

jason.goemaat May 31, 2017

I can't figure out how the 'rebase children of xxx interactively' works.

I created a 'temp' branch and 4 commits, adding 'a', 'b', 'c', then 'd' to README.me.  I then right-click on the original commit I branched from and picked 'rebase children of xxxx interactively'.  A window pops up with 4 commits.

So I want to squash them all into 1 commit with all 4 changes in it.  I right-click on the top 1 and pick 'Squash with previous commit'.  That then says [2 commits] and message is 'xxx (+1 squashed commits)'.  I then right-click on that and squash it, then do it again.  Now I have 1 line that still says "[2 commits] and 'xxx (+1 squashed commits)', but there are four commits when I expand it.

Now I right-click on the top line and edit the message and it says '[4 commits]' and the message is my new 'All Changes' message.  Looks good, right?  So when I hit 'OK' it works, BUT I STILL HAVE 2 COMMITS.  The first commit in the branch where I added 'a' to the file is still there, even though it was listed in the 4 commits that should be squashed together.

When I use the command line, I type `git rebase -i <original commit>`, where <original commit> is the one I right-click on in source tree.  My editor opens up and I 'p'ick the top line and 's'quash for the other three.  At the end I get to edit the final commit message, and it looks right with 1 commit directly off the base commit I rebased onto.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 1, 2017

Hello! Can you try using the newly released 2.1? It has a fix in it where squashed commits didn't get squashed correctly. Thanks!

https://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/ga/SourceTreeSetup-2.1.2.4.exe

jason.goemaat June 1, 2017

This version only crashes for me, it never starts up correctly.

Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 1, 2017

Do you get an error report dialog? Which version were you using before?

jason.goemaat June 1, 2017

Yes, it appears to be a known issue.  I had to edit the config file and change the window width and height and initial state, then it started without crashing.

Version 2.1.2.4 does seem to resolve my issue, I just tried the same interactive rebase again and it properly squashed all four commits into one.  Thanks!

4 votes
Alfredo Tschamler October 22, 2018

I realized that I can not use Interactive rebase over a commit when it has more than one branch, when the commit has only one branch you can, otherwise do nothing, is this a bug??

jakevose October 22, 2018

I am able to reproduce this issue as well. I've been experiencing this issue for months now and your description nails the source of the problem. Thanks for the workaround and hopefully Atlassian will address it soon!

Alfredo Tschamler October 22, 2018

Excellent! I hope so!

1 vote
dickreuter June 20, 2017

My interactive rebase of 2.1.2.5 does not work properly either on windows. It does not even show the commits.

BehindTheMath July 3, 2017

I'm having the same issue.

BehindTheMath July 3, 2017

Actually, it seems that this issues only occurs if you select Interactive Rebase from the Repository menu. If you right-click and select it from the context menu, it appears to work.

0 votes
jeffal June 6, 2017

Hello,

My interactive rebase hangs following the latest update.

I am using version 2.5.2b (111) for Mac OS.

Update: Reverting to 2.5.2a resolved the issue...

Thank you,

Jeff

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events