Interactive Rebase in SourceTree Windows doesn't work properly at all

Robert Dailey June 3, 2014

I'm using SourceTree 1.5 on Windows. Interactive Rebase almost never works. Here are some of the issues:

• Commits are ordered wrong. Interactive rebase from the command line lists commits from OLDEST (top) to NEWEST (bottom). The rebase window puts the newest on the TOP. This is backwards and causes problems with this feature working properly.
  • If I have 15 commits on my branch and I want to squash them all into one, what I do is select the top commit and spam the "Squash With Previous" button until I have only 1 commit shown. After this, I accept, it doesn't squash all of them. I'm left with a log that shows only 2 commits were squashed instead of all 15 like it showed it would do. Again, i think this is due to the bad ordering mentioned in my first point.
  • If I squash commits and then rename them, the rename isn't applied along with the squash. This may not be working because of the 2nd point.
  • Can't select a range of commits to squash together. I have to do them one at a time, this is a serious usability issue.

Is it just me or are others experiencing this issue? I have a feeling the bad commit ordering is the culprit of most of these problems.

10 answers

2 votes
BR August 7, 2014

I noticed this too. It only squashes 2 of them at a time for me, no matter how many commits I try to squash together.

1 vote
onstottj April 20, 2017

For rebasing, the easiest workaround seems to be to use the command line.  Rebasing doesn't seem to work too well in GUI's, even IntelliJ.

I've found that the command like `git rebase --interactive HEAD~5` will interactively rebase your last 5 commits, which helps.

1 vote
jagcancer April 20, 2017

2017 and still an issue. I can repeat exactly the same steps - sometimes it squishes 2 or 3 commits and other times none and sometimes fails.

And this is in a clean repo with one feature branch and one text file - hardly complicated.

I've noticed when it does fail the window states to use abort, ignore etc and when I try to it says I'm not rebasing. So it looks like if it fails it aborts, then tells you to abort, then when you try to it tells you there's nothing to abort...

I think Atlassian are too busy buying other companies to shoddily integrate with rather than build a solid foundation on which to work. A shame really.

0 votes
Hassen Charef May 18, 2017

I have an issue with rabse and conflicts on the latest version of sourcetree. When I mark as resolved the files disappear and then git tells me that there are no changes to make, and tells me to continue, skip or abort.

The changes are just gone!!

onstottj May 18, 2017

Now that you've resolved the conflicts, you need to tell it to continue.  That is how Git works and isn't related to SourceTree.

Hassen Charef May 19, 2017

well yes, when I told it to continue it couldn't.

And when I continue from sourcetree, I finish fixing all the conflicts, commit by commit, I do not have the push option and my changes disappear. Me and my collegues at work are having a problem with rebasing since the last version.

0 votes
Ron Lar July 18, 2016

Having the same issue in 1.8.3 - no matter how many commits you select, it will only squash together at most 3.

0 votes
BR April 28, 2016

I am able to use this feature, but I can only do a maximum of 3 commits at a time (squashed down to 1). 

I use this feature frequently and I would also like it fixed; I entered my issue below almost 2 years ago at this point.

0 votes
ryan.erickson April 28, 2016

I can confirm this is still an issue.  Thanks for the links to that article.  I used git reset to squash all my commits.  It would be nice if this issue would get fixed.

0 votes
Jakub Konecki October 13, 2015

This is a serious bug. Could someone please take a look at it?

0 votes
Kent Boogaart June 30, 2015

So this was asked June 2014. It's July 2015 and it's still a problem, and no response from Atlassian. I think it's time for me to ditch SourceTree.

0 votes
onstottj May 22, 2015

I've seen this same problem repeatedly also.  Good diagnosis.

This question is asked on StackOverflow and there is a workaround listed there.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events