Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install sourcetree on an external usb drive

hugo_kinner September 1, 2015

I have installed sourcetree on both my computer and on an external usb hard drive. When I want to start sourcetree on my external driver from my computer it's start the desktop sourcetree. This is really annoying. I want them separated.

From my computer I can't upgrade the sourcetree on external driver because the desktop version is up to date.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2015

Windows software usually takes advantage of OS features that tie the installation to the original computer, regardless of what medium it is installed on. For example, it may store some settings in the registry, or configuration files in your user profile.

I don't believe Atlassian has made any effort to build a "portable" version of SourceTree. You find or create a feature request at jira.atlassian.com. Someone has made their own attempt at making it portable here: http://portableapps.com/node/37839 I don't know whether that will work in parallel with a local installation.

0 votes
hugo_kinner September 1, 2015

Hehe, I understand that things can be confusing that you need both versions - but I do. At home I use “desktop” version. The external drive for instance when traveling to work. When I come home I often want to continue on my “desktop”. I want to start the program on external drive or desktop whenever I want. When I attach it to a new computer that never has used sourcetree before it want to set up a new configuration but I want the program to start and it’s never possible to update the software on the external drive because it’s install it on the computer even If I select my external drive.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2015

I can understand why you might want SourceTree on an external drive, but why would you want it on BOTH an external drive AND your primary drive? Seems that things might work better if you didn't have the "desktop" version.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events