Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install SouceTree for Windows without admin rights

Remus Prunescu October 21, 2014

Is there a way to install SourceTree for Windows without admin rights? I tried choosing a folder the user has write access to as the installation target, but the installer still requested admin rights.

8 answers

1 vote
AugustaJava1 July 13, 2016

I do have the same issue.  At my company developers do not have admin rights.  And since the latest Windows 10 update we can't even modify account level information.  If software requires admin rights to user or install we typically aren't allowed to use it.  Before this I hadn't realized you can't even write to Program Files without admin authority.  I tried installing SourceTree to a different directory but as soon as it tries to request admin access it craps out.  I know Microsoft built this process but we just don't always have access to these areas of our machine. So we end up with both Microsoft and our own company standing in our way.  There should always be a "non admin" method of installation and use of software on a windows machine.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2014

@Lenon Marumbwa Sounds like a different issue to me. You should post a new question.

0 votes
Lenon Marumbwa October 22, 2014

Hi. I am having a related issue. I have tried all mentioned above but no luck. Each time I pull from sourcetree It prints the following and the number doesn't change of items to pull that is: 0 [main] sh 11300 handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION 255 [main] sh 11300 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to sh.exe.stackdump git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false submodule update --init --recursive Completed successfully. Any idea on how to fix this one. Have tried all. The on thing that seems to work is pull with a rebase but then again it's a tedious process

0 votes

Ok. Thanks a lot! I will file a feature request soon.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2014

Ok, thanks for the additional info. I've edited your question to include that. If you don't get a useful answer in a few days, you may need to submit a feature request at http://jira.atlassian.com

0 votes

Yes, I chose another destination folder where I have write access but it still asks for admin rights. And I don't have an admin account :(

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 21, 2014

I believe you can choose the installation folder during the install process. Did you try to do that? What happened?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events