Idiograms - what do they mean?

Donald Overlander April 29, 2016

Please make an EASY to find\access description of any and all "Idiot Diagrams == IdioGrams" used in you application.  One of THE biggest pet peeves is using acronyms without defining them... using icons (and lots of them) without providing easy access to their meaning is no different.

Yellow square with ellipsis == Edited File?

Purple square with question mark == I have no idea....

Red square with dash == Deleted file???

Seriously a major issue in why I am considering switching to a different tool.

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2016

If you understand Git/Mercurial and the various statuses a file can be in (which you should if you're using it), it is not hard to associate the icons with the possible states.

Here's the list for Git (taken from documentation for "git status"):

• ' ' = unmodified

• ? = untracked
  • M = modified

• A = added

• D = deleted

• R = renamed

• C = copied

• U = updated but unmerged

I don't think SourceTree has special icons for the last two status, (and it doesn't show an icon for "unmodified"). Files can also be "conflicted" (git status shows two letters for conflicts/merges). Knowing that list, the icons seem pretty obvious to me:

git_status_summary.PNG

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2016

Also, the text for the status icons appears in a tooltip for the icons that are in the file list (but not the summary I depicted in my answer). Excuse the low quality screenshot:

image2016-4-29 10:54:44.png

IcarusTalon January 30, 2017

I did not notice the tool tip. Good thing, the Icons are not intuitive. :|

Like # people like this
Seth January 30, 2017

Just curious, what icons do you feel would be intuitive for that set of statuses?

Carlo Alfio Flores June 16, 2017

The yellow Icon is the same for the Modified and Clean status(es). By the way, how do you remove from the unstaged files all the files with Clean status?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events