I need help using SourceTree 3.0.5 and 3.0.6 with a simple SSH-based repository

(Note that I was required to enter a tag to post a question, but there's no tag for SourceTree, so I picked them all.)

I'm unable to use SourceTree 3.0.5 and 3.0.6 to connect to existing repositories. We're using simple SSH-based repositories with usernames and passwords. The SourceTree Remote icon shows an explanation point warning that I need to set up extended integration. When I go to the Remote Details and edit the remote, I see an "Optional extended integration" section with a Host Type. There is no option for "SSH" there.

When I try to pull, I see:

'"C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Local\Sourcetree\app-3.0.6\tools\Askpass.exe"' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Error reading SSH_ASKPASS output for prompt: <username>@<remote>'s password:
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.

It's disturbing that SourceTree is looking for an executable that doesn't exist. It's even more disturbing that SSH access is broken yet again. 

Is there anything I can do to resolve this, or are we stuck with the 2.x version?

Thank you,

Doug

1 answer

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
5 votes
Ires Stolte I'm New Here Thursday

I had the same error message with our local git server. Got it working by copying over some files from an older version of SourceTree (and this is not the first time I had to do this after an SourceTree update! Last time it was a borked Putty version in an update)

• Go to %APPDATA%\Local\SourceTree\
  • Navigate to the folder of the older version (app02.6.10 for me) and then the tools folder
  • Copy Askpass.exe, Askpass.UI.Wpf.dll and SourceTreeShared.dll
  • Navigate to the newest SourceTree folder (app-3.0.6 for me) and then the tools folder
  • Paste the files
Doug McGrath I'm New Here Friday

You are fantastic! Thank you so much. It's working beautifully now.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

986 views 2 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you