Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a question regarding Pull Requests via SourceTree.

mark jones May 7, 2015

I am using BitBucket as a code repository.

My Colleagues and I are using SourceTree to Commit, Push and Pull code changes to a bit bucket repository.

The issue I am confused about is that when I create a new feature - I create a branch for my feature - commit the code changes - select pull request when committing the changes - I am then directed to the BitBucket site to fill in details of the Pull request.

However my colleagues who are continually using SourceTree do not receive any notification of this Pull request. Is SourceTree capable of notifying users of pull requests ? If not - what is the normal process for colleagues to be informed of pull requests ? Should my colleagues need to keep watching the Bitbucket site throughout their day ? Will they receive an email notification ?

Any advice on recommended process would be appreciated.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
rahuldanwade
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2015

Hi Mark,

1. Check if your colleagues are added as reviewers while creating pull request.

2.  Also check Manage account -> Notification  mails are enabled.

3.  Check if they all are watching pull request 

You are watching section

regards

Rahul Danwade

0 votes
mark jones May 12, 2015

Thanks for the answer.

Although it is helpful - I have spent all my free time over the past week trying to design and implement a source-control work practice for myself and my colleagues (only 3 of us - 2 of whom are occasional contributors). We would like to use Bitbucket & SourceTree. However the design and setup of a simple system for 3 developers to edit code locally / commit code / push to repository / merge to master (only when pull-requests have been Approved by other developers) is proving a very difficult task. I have been reading the online tutorial content etc.. but I am having to painstakingly try all scenarios in order to hopefully stumble on a useful system.

Would I be correct in assuming that I create a repository.

Invite 2 other developers to clone the repository.

Then these 2 developers MUST Fork the repository in order to edit / commit their own code changes. Once they have forked the repository then they can issue pull requests in order that their code changes be approved and merged into the master branch.

Is their any further advice you could send me in regards to setting up a simple system for 3 developers to work with code where the only way to affect the master branch is to issue pull requests to the repository Admin and have those pull requests Approved by the Admin.

rahuldanwade
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2015

Hi Mark, 1.Apart from fork workflow you can opt for a Branch workflow where developers can create separate branches and start working on it, commit and create a pull request 2.Once you create a pull request you can directly merge branch into master you don't need to wait for pull request approval.

0 votes
Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2015

Only the people specified as reviewers will get an e-mail about the new pull request.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events