cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
  • Community
  • Products
  • Sourcetree
  • Questions
  • I cannot launch FileMerge from SourceTree (Launch External Merge Tool), where are PATHS etc set up in SourceTree? (Can launch from Xcode & Diff settings in SourceTree all look correct).

I cannot launch FileMerge from SourceTree (Launch External Merge Tool), where are PATHS etc set up in SourceTree? (Can launch from Xcode & Diff settings in SourceTree all look correct).

Mark Williams February 21, 2016

Dialog appears briefly then disappears, but FileMerge does not launch. Settings in SourceTree Diff section all look right. Is there a path setting I need to change.

7 answers

4 votes
Bino80 January 20, 2021

follow this step's its fix mine 

1. Open Xcode > Preferences > Locations
  2. Click on the drop-down box beside Command Line Tools and select your current Xcode version.
jvaillancourt-acquisio April 7, 2021

This fixed my problem.

Appu Mistri June 3, 2021

Much thanks, this saved my day.

3 votes
crobicha March 26, 2019

It's 2019 and this is still an issue, need a better UX

3 votes
Christopher F January 5, 2017

See this StackOverFlow question for a workaround. However, SourceTree should definitely provide an error to the user telling them what to do and how to fix.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32729049/filemerge-quits-immediately-after-launching-from-sourcetree/41490804

1 vote
Kevin Giovanelli February 5, 2020

Same issue in 4.0 (229). Selecting the external merge tool produces no errors or additional dialogs. It just creates/modifies the files and leaves you with an unfinished merge to clean up on your own.

mrclary February 24, 2020

Try deleting your user config file and restart SourceTree.

sudo rm ~/.gitconfig

I have always solved this problem by ensuring the license agreement is agreed to. However, that didn't seem to be the problem anymore. I tried the solution provided by Tom Kraina in the link provided above (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32729049/filemerge-quits-immediately-after-launching-from-sourcetree/41490804). This worked after I deleted my ~/.gitconfig file. But then selecting FileMerge as my merge tool in the preferences worked again.

Like Kevin Giovanelli likes this
Kevin Giovanelli May 15, 2020

Apologies for the late reply - it turned out that installing Xcode fixed it for me. Not sure specifically the reason behind this as I'm not aware of Xcode being a pre-requisite for Sourcetree, but since Xcode was mentioned in the title of this report I thought I'd give it a go... and it worked.

mrclary May 15, 2020

SourceTree doesn't require XCode, but FileMerge is an application bundled with XCode. So if you want to use FileMerge as your merge tool, then you have to get XCode (and agree to the license agreement).

1 vote
rrudnicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 7, 2016

Hello,

This is a know bug as you can see here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-3644.  We recommend you to vote and watch in that issue. 

Cheers, 
Renato 

hvisage April 7, 2016

REnato,

Sorry, I want to down vote this answer, as the 3648 ticket titled "SourceTree ignores commit.template config in git " doesn't match our issue/problem.

How does that involves FileMerge?
The ticket doesn't mention FileMerge etc. anywhere to explain the relevance/connections

rrudnicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 12, 2016

Hi Hendrik,

I believe I've paste the wrong link. I just updated that.

Cheers,

0 votes
hvisage April 5, 2016

Same problem here.

0 votes
Scott Dunkle February 23, 2016

I am having the same issue with the new SourceTree Version 2.2.2 (51) after updating (though I swear I thought I had used this feature after updating.

I have mine setup to use Kaleidoscope for diffs.  nothing very telling is populating into the syslog at this point (that I can tell) when it happens.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events