How to use sourcetree to integrate bitbucket with TFS?

Remrick Alcoriza October 10, 2017

I could probably have worded the question above better, so allow me to explain.

We are working on a project and company policy is use TFS as our source control provider.

However, a client has requested that we also push updates to bitbucket which they use.

I have been pointed towards sourcetree as a way to do this.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any clear documentation on how to do this.  

How would I use source tree to clone our project which is currently up on TFS?  (Clone may be the wrong term, in any case, we want changes to be updated on both TFS and bitbucket).

Thank you

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 11, 2017

Hi Remrick, if you're using Git or Mercurial in TFS, then this should be easy to achieve. Before I continue, note that Sourcetree is just a visual interface for Git and Mercurial, so it won't be really necessary to use it if you're comfortable enough using the command line.

Once you decide whether you'd like to use Sourcetree or not, the steps to follow are the same:

1. Clone your repo locally, this means you'll have a copy of the repo you have in TFS in your computer
  2. Push this repository to Bitbucket
  3. When the remote repository changes, you can pull these changes to your local copy and then push these changes to Bitbucket again.

If you need instructions on how to perform those operations, you can check our documentation at Adding remote hosted repositories,  Clone a repository and Commit, push and pull.

Hope that helps!

Ana 

Remrick Alcoriza October 11, 2017

Hi Ana,

Thanks for your reply.

Does this mean that I will have to use Git or Mercurial in TFS? 

At the moment, we are using TFS for version control (Team foundation version control for centralized version control).  Will we need to "convert" this into a git first before being able to push changes up to bitbucket?  Or is there a way to do it directly coming from TFVC (team foundation version control)?

Apologies for the questions - I have no experience using git previously and so wanted to be sure.

Thank you again

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events