How to solve "Too many invalid password attempts" error?

Yuli Zhou July 14, 2017

Hi,

I started using SourceTree mac version with BitBucket account a few months ago. Since the first day I constantly saw the following error message when doing any git related tasks:

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false -c credential.helper=sourcetree fetch upstream

remote: Too many invalid password attempts. Try logging in through the website with your password.

fatal: unable to access 'https://yz@bitbucket.org/myrepo.git/': The requested URL returned error: 403

Completed with errors, see above

I've tried searching for solutions but had no luck. Some old threads mentioned it's a server side issue and was solved. 

Current workaround is to go to Accounts and log in again everytime the error pops up.

Lately the error pops up more often than usual. Could you help me with this?

Thanks!

28 answers

10 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 17, 2017

Hi Yuli, have you already tried login into Bitbucket using the web interface?

If after that you're still getting the error, navigate to id.atlassian.com in your browser with your email, and password - please make sure to NOT use the Google login form, and instead use the basic email/password fields. You may be asked to go through a captcha screen, or even reset your password if necessary.

Once you get logged in properly to id.atlassian.com, try your GIT operations again and please let us know if the issue is solved for you.

Best regards!

Ana

Yuli Zhou July 18, 2017

Hi Ana,

Thanks for the solution! It works so far. 

Nathan Yan August 18, 2017

Logging into id.atlassian.com didn't do anything for me - still seeing the 403 errors from sourcetree.

Like # people like this
Nathan Yan August 18, 2017

This was only on the Sourcetree UI, after a recent update to 2.1.10.0.

git pull from command line works fine.

Like Uditha likes this
Morten Kjær Pedersen August 22, 2017

I've the exact same problem.

Any solution?

Karthik Ravula December 14, 2017

going to id.atlassian has unfortunately not helped 

Karthik Ravula December 14, 2017

only 1 other person says it worked is there a particular browser that will help . I have authenticated with both chrome and IE 

Like # people like this
Chris Reece December 14, 2017

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Its more of a constant bandaid that you have to do all day in order to use SourceTree. Do you only have the option to login using a gmail account as well? I can confirm that when I could add my account over basic https, this never happened but that isn't the case anymore and that is not an option (only OAuth via google).

xmblpb March 17, 2018

After logging to id.atlassian.com I got new errors, but operation is complete.

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false -c credential.helper=sourcetree fetch origin
remote: Invalid username or password. If you log in via a third party service you must ensure you have an account password set in your account profile.
fatal: Authentication failed for 'https://myusername@bitbucket.org/myusername/service-desk.git/'

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false -c credential.helper=sourcetree pull --no-commit origin master
remote: Invalid username or password. If you log in via a third party service you must ensure you have an account password set in your account profile.
fatal: Authentication failed for 'https://myusername@bitbucket.org/myusername/service-desk.git/'
From https://bitbucket.org/myusername/service-desk
* branch master -> FETCH_HEAD
Already up to date.
Completed successfully

Like Purushotham.Koturu likes this
Kasper Rugård Thomsen March 24, 2018

Seems like this issue has been there for quite a while now. I recently started getting this error within the last month or so - seems like it started to happen after I updated to the newest version of Sourcetree.

Any news on a fix for this? Git from the terminal in macOS (High Sierra) works perfect, I just prefer a UI, but I'll have to switch from Sourcetree if this doesn't get any attention soon ;-\

I've tried all the solutions suggested and nothing helps...

This seems to be the normal procedure from you guys when something breaks - radio-silence for a very long time and then developers start to find other tools instead of your stack as it's filled with flaws... getting really tired of it.

Richtarik May 14, 2018

Same here. Updated to newest version of Sourctree (2.7.3) and am getting constant  issues of the type:

remote: Too many invalid password attempts. Log in at https://id.atlassian.com/ to restore access.

I do not want to login after every pull/push I want to make. This is simply a major headache for the users.

Deleted user May 14, 2018

A bug who has been living for so long, who would say :( I'm done, looking for another software until this isn't sorted out

Kasper Rugård Thomsen May 14, 2018

@[deleted] have a look at Manjunath Basaralu Srinivasa's reply to Ana Retamal Ortiz's post below. There's a link to a beta version, that fixes the issue - it does for me at least.

Give it a try and see if it works for you.

Deleted user June 15, 2018

Just to confirm the bug is fixed on version 2.7.4 (174) and I'm happy to use Sourcetree again. Good job guys

androdevML August 2, 2018

It's broken again in 2.7.6. Very frustrating. I can clone and do all operations by hand with a ssh key, but nothing with SourceTree.

contact August 8, 2018

Yes. 
Still busted here!
Using 2.7.6 on High Sierra. 

I am deleting the stored password in KeyChain,  before each Push attempt, to insure I can potentially avoid the "too many invalid attempts". Then I enter the password I use to login into my Atlassian account. 

But yes, no luck!

DrunkenMonkey August 17, 2018

Git Embedded is the one broken. Using system version of Git and the password problems are fixed for me.

Like # people like this
Sebastian Dominguez May 3, 2019

Its works but just using Internet Explorer logging.

Manoj Parameswaran May 25, 2021

This worked, i think you should remove the "register using gmail" option. It is not working well if we try to use sourcetree along with Bitbucket.

Thank you for the resolution !

3 votes
Laura_Pons_Lloret April 5, 2018

Same here... it's been like this since i installed it a year ago, but it got worst on the latest updates... Do something...

2 votes
abdumoslem January 14, 2020

I just got the same issue after updating to V 3.3.7

I tried all the suggested fixes with no help at all

2 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 7, 2018

Hi everyone! I've reached out to our Sourcetree developers regarding your concerns, and they informed me that there's a fix coming for this in 2.7.4. If any of you is interested in trying an early access build and confirm the fix, let us know!

Best regards,

Ana

Manju
Atlassian Team
May 7, 2018

Please find the direct download link for the 2.7.4 beta which includes a fix for this issue - https://bitbucket.org/atlassianlabs/sourcetree-betas/downloads/OSX_Beta_Latest.zip

Kindly provide feedback if you see any issues with respect to "https" authentication with Bitbucket which returns 403 errors. 

Thanks,
Manjunath
Sourcetree Mac Developer 

Kasper Rugård Thomsen May 8, 2018

Hi @Manju - I just tried out the beta and seems to be working, but I'll have to try it out for some days I believe, because it seems like the issue sometimes disappear for a while after resetting my account settings (re-connecting my user through SourceTree).

I'll give it a spin for a few days and return with my findings - thanks for your help so far :-)

Manju
Atlassian Team
May 8, 2018

Absolutely. Appreciate the help with this. 

Cheers!

Dusan Kocurek May 9, 2018

Hi,

when do you plan to publish an official update that includes this fix?

Thanks,

Dusan

Kasper Rugård Thomsen May 14, 2018

Hi @Manju - I've now tested out the beta version in regards to the issue with authentication and everything seems to be working nicely. I didn't have any of the issues that were reported.

However there was a new beta release which I've downloaded now and the release notes doesn't mention anything about changing anything in relation to authentication, so I'm guessing it's safe to say, that it won't affect anything related to authentication right?

Manju
Atlassian Team
May 15, 2018

Its absolutely safe. The latest update does not have any authentication related changes. Also, these changes are out of beta and we have started rolling it out in the regular channel for everyone. 

Craig Strohl June 11, 2018

Is there a newer Version for windows?  I am constantly having this issue, either wrong password or too many failed login attempts.  I changed my password twice, cleared my windows credential store, reinstalled source tree.  I have no problems logging into the website online or validating my credentials.  Spent 3 hours tonight trying to fix this tonight :(

Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
June 14, 2018

Hello! Could you try downloading 2.6.6 and see if it solves your issue? Thanks!

Craig Strohl June 15, 2018

Mike! this fixed the problem, thanks so much!

ingur July 30, 2019

Hi, I have a similar issue. My error output is: 

Command: git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false ls-remote 'url-to-my-repository-on-bitbucket'
Output:
Error: remote: Too many invalid password attempts. Log in at https://id.atlassian.com/ to restore access.
fatal: unable to access 'url-to-my-repository-on-bitbucket': The requested URL returned error: 403

I'm using Sourcetree Version 3.1.2 on Windows 10. The repository is owned by a team and created by myself, so I have admin rights...

I already tried to delete and reconnect my account on Sourcetree for many times. Connecting my accounts to Sourcetree works well, just cloning a repository doesn't. Please help! 

1 vote
nbourdon January 25, 2021

Still happening in 3.3.8. Get your act together, Atlassian; none of your tools are usable. 

Kenny De Smedt February 4, 2021

agree this shit is getting unbearable

Scott Babineaux April 20, 2021

now I'm getting it in VSCode as well.

Jan Lis May 26, 2021

This is still not solved. I wish I was not forced to use this shit. Definitely wouldn't recommend for any future project. I can't clone a project that I have full access to neither via terminal or sourcetree. Garbage.

Like # people like this
1 vote
ensemblebd August 15, 2018
  1. Logged in on web browser. Check
  2. Logged out of web browser and back into web browser with standard auth form. Check.
    Thus resetting the notification to login to id.atlassian.com in ST
  3. Opened [Remote] tab in SourceTree and [Refreshed Oauth Token]. Check.
  4. Hit [Fetch] in ST, it opens a dialog to login. The dialog looks different than I remember, but it's a login dialog. I login, with the same EXACT user/pass combo that works in the browser...... FAILURE
    I even tried the username version (since you changed from user to email requirement few months back) -- no dice.
    It continues to do so, and reverts back to #1. Despite valid credentials and all other auth approaches working.

Explain to me what the fuck 

ensemblebd August 15, 2018

Man screw this, I'm switching to GitKraken. gg

FYI.. git clone on command line is failing too. This problem is 100% with Atlassian. 

The fact that it pops up with their dialog when you try to clone from command line proves they are forcing in some "magic" into the pipeline they shouldn't be. 
And the fact that it says: 

fatal: ArgumentOutOfRangeException

followed by manually typing password into command prompt, resulting in: 

remote: Invalid username or password 

proves that their REMOTE service is screwed up, and so is the LOCAL app.

Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
August 15, 2018

This is an issue with the git credential manager. 

Download 1.17.1 here: https://github.com/Microsoft/Git-Credential-Manager-for-Windows/releases/tag/v1.17.1

Like # people like this
Zev Lopez September 7, 2018

This solved it for me.

Fraser Hardy September 25, 2018

We’ve just started seeing this issue on bamboo. My bitbucket account is via google app’s but we have an app password setup for bamboo to use. It’s been fine for years until today all our pipelines started failing due to this error. 

randywhitelaw October 30, 2018

Finally! Thanks @Mike Corsaro!

Like butronj likes this
abdumoslem January 14, 2020

Not working V 3.3.7

1 vote
Chris Reece March 21, 2018

I switched to GitGraken a few months ago and it is hands down a better application. None of these issues, has a better UI and is super easy to use. At some point, you gotta say enough is enough and just move on from SourceTree.

Mike Weijenberg March 21, 2018

You're right! Sourcetree is not the only one. But I'm that guy that's getting used to things ;) The next time I'm gettin' these problems I will switch to GitGraken. 

Chris Reece March 21, 2018

I'm a huge Atlassian fan, but sourcetree is just not a good tool anymore for google only logins. Its broken and its been broken for around a year...having this EXACT issue and they haven't resolved it. GitGraken does not have this issue at all. It was just time to move on for *me* and I got sick of constantly having to re-log in whenever i wanted to commit.

0 votes
Muhammad Babar January 3, 2022

Remove Error From Source Tree:

Open Source Tree and go to menu items
   1. Select:  Tools -> Options
   2. A options popup will appear, go to [Authentication] tab.
   3. Click on the account that raising issue and [Delete]
   4. Add again with new password

0 votes
Chang Chen July 20, 2021

Somehow find the way to solve this issue. Finally!!!

Just Follow steps in the link below. At least mine works!

https://stackoverflow.com/a/50510286

You will have your sourcetree back! 

res-swilson February 7, 2022

Thanks, that worked for me.

0 votes
Kunal Prakash July 7, 2021

Alright this is just bonkers man. I've got 2 PCs, both with SourceTree, one works fine, the other one keeps throwing this "Too many invalid password attempts." error. How the heck do you fix this?

0 votes
janetzhao October 21, 2020

Just happen the same error , and what's the exactly solution?? 

0 votes
Habib Ridho April 14, 2020

It seems there's no straightforward solution for this. I'm moving to github.

0 votes
Jackson Richards August 15, 2018

This error almost makes this software unusable. 

I've had to remove all https repos from my machine.

0 votes
Vincent Boutot August 7, 2018

having the issue with sourcetree 2.6.10

I'm pissed with this issue i am connected with google, i can't change because it is a professional one and everyone else in my team seams to work properly but me it doens't work. I  tried changing my password in google but it didn't do anything in sourcetree. 

0 votes
Jackson Richards August 6, 2018

Also having this issue with Sourcetree 2.6.10.0

0 votes
pablo_neruda June 30, 2018

this issue is still there.
cant login and even if i login to atlassian.id i cant push. So now i'm stuck.

0 votes
OmarX May 5, 2018

Still the issue exist, sounds like no way to work with source tree once again, even after resetting the password , it give invalid login error.

0 votes
Mads Vium Asbjørn April 30, 2018

Struggling with the same issue. Resetting the password at https://id.atlassian.com/ only fixes the problem temporarily. Very annoying.

0 votes
Deleted user April 23, 2018

I have same issue. I can not fix it via browser login either.
I logged in via Sourcetree on Mac (Preferences => Accounts, *select account* => edit, Connect Account => *it opens log in form* => follow the login workflow.

Now it works.

Michael Møller Rasmussen April 25, 2018

The only question is for how long it works.
Fixed the issue before, but it has reoccured, so it is just a temporary fix

0 votes
Zlatko Matokanovic April 16, 2018

GitKraken it is...

Rafael Lima September 22, 2018

Well said

idonin-mais December 5, 2018

I wish it were that simple... 

0 votes
Sergey Konovalov March 26, 2018

Same issue, fighting it with several options suggested on the Internet, for about a week without any result.

Chris Reece March 26, 2018

Unless you're just stuck using it, I would switch to GitKraken as soon as you can. I loved sourcetree, but its been over a year and this same problem exists.

Sergey Konovalov March 27, 2018

Thanks, Chris. I've managed to down-shift to command-line Git and my life is now much better :D

0 votes

After upgrading Sourcetree the problem never occured.. So maybe that's the solution?

nthieberger March 21, 2018

I am running the latest version of ST so that's not an option for me ....

Ok, did you provide your credentials again in Sourcetree? Re-configure you accounts, so your login session will expire or something like that.

I deleted my account in ST and set up a new one, reset my password in bitbucket, set up a new ssh pubkey ... 

Hmm okay, maybe Chris Reese's advice is the simplest solution. Get GitGraken..

Yep, thanks everyone. I installed GitKraken and it connected immediately.

Nice :) I'm gonna test it tomorrow :)

0 votes
Jonas Chapuis March 9, 2018

Same problem here

Yes, me too. I have reset passwords, reset ssh keys, done two-factor authentication .... but SourceTree won't let me in. " remote: Invalid username or password. If you log in via a third party service you must ensure you have an account password set in your account profile. fatal: Authentication failed for ...."

Help!

0 votes
weirdbeardmt March 1, 2018

FWIW, I am also experiencing this issue and it's getting very tedious. Sourcetree on a Mac... account is added to Sourcetree. First time after logging in commit/pull works OK, but then at some random point later, it will fail again. Logging in again is OK.

Is there potentially any correlation with having Sourcetree open on a different Mac (same configuration as above) both committing / pulling from the same repos using the same credentials?

0 votes
Chris Reece December 13, 2017

I'm having this issue as well again. I had it at my previous company and now at this new company I am at. The common theme is they both use google for authentication. Every few git operations (sometimes EVERY operation) returns a 403 and I can navigate to id.atlassian.com (must be EXACTLY this URL) and it'll log me in and i MIGHT be ok for a few more git operations. I have my bitbucket account in sourcetree via OAuth and there is no way to log in without using my gmail account. I have no idea what is up and this is EXTREMELY frustrating and time consuming to have to constantly do this operation. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events