Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to solve problems when trying to clone a hg repository from Bitbucket?

Michael Krämer June 26, 2013

After having used hg via different mechanisms for a while I just installed SourceTree. Basically it looks really great and easy to use. So I think it might be a great choice for new users to get started with hg or git.

Unfortunately I am experiencing problems when trying to clone a repository from Bitbucket. When I enter ssh://hg@bitbucket.org/<user>/<repository> as the URL I get "This is not a valid source path / URL". Clicking on details shows "remote: The command "C:\Program" is either written wrong or could not be found" (or so, my own translation as this is a non-English Windows).

Now things get rather strange to me: I cloned the repository on the command line (via ssh) and opened it with SourceTree . After that I did the first edit and could commit and push without problems. And this is using the same URL as shown above internally.

So I wonder if there's something wrong with my setup or if it's actually a software issue.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2013

I literally just spotted a bug that sneaked through that would only show up when SourceTree was installed in its final location, in C:\Program Files... - it's down to improper handling of spaces in that path just for the initial probe of the remote.

Sorry about that, I've fixed it and I'll post another update shortly. In the mean time you can either clone via HTTPS instead or clone on the command line and pull in the repo by dragging/dropping from Explorer into the Bookmarks pane on the left.

Sorry about that!

Michael Krämer June 26, 2013

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply! Currently I'm fine with cloning on the command line as this works fine with me. And for me it's good to hear that the default ssh setup on Windows normally just works right away.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2013

Yeah, ssh is what I use all the time, I just didn't spot the issue with the spaces in the path because my test versions sit in space-free path names. It only affected the initial probe, the clone itself would have worked (if you could have got to the Clone button!). Update coming very soon.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events