Loving SourceTree, but I've got a major conundrum.
I have numerous working copies of a particular software project installed in different locations. We have a "free" version and a "premium" version of the software, and within those versions I have various local installation contexts to be able to do proper compatibility testing. Because they are all working copies of the same project, they all share the same directory name (in this case it is a WordPress plugin we wrote, and it must have exactly the same directory name in all cases).
Thankfully, the repo bookmarks list allows you to rename a bookmark to distinguish the various working copies from one another, which I've done.
However, mysteriously, I can't find any way to view that distinguishing feature in the SourceTree explorer windows of these working copies. They all share the same title in their title bars - the name of the directory. I'm surprised these windows wouldn't use the bookmark name to distinguish themselves, or mention the bookmark name anywhere at all in the UI. There's actually no way I can tell which working copy a particular SourceTree window is associated with except by right-clicking a file and clicking "Reveal in Finder" to make sure.
This makes SourceTree totally impractical to use when working with multiple working copies that share the same directory name. I feel like something as obvious as this couldn't possibly have been overlooked by what is otherwise the best Git GUI I've ever used, and I probably just haven't configured something properly.
Any thoughts/help would be most appreciated!
That's odd, because actually SourceTree does display the bookmark name in the title bar - I have exactly the same kind of setup here and indeed, the bookmark name is how I differentiate my repo windows.
I wonder, did you open the repository window direct either from Finder/Terminal or via File > Open, and then add the bookmark later, or maybe open the unnamed repo window first then changed the bookmark name? Maybe the new name just hasn't propagated properly (it's supposed to, but I just did a quick test with renaming a bookmark here and it didn't).
Please try closing SourceTree and re-opening it to see if that solves the issue. I'll look at the propagation issue, that's a bug.
Ah, sweet! Just had to restart the program to get it to work. I guess I hadn't restarted it in a week or so, and I renamed by working copy bookmarks within the last week. I did try closing the explorer windows and reopening them from the bookmarks - just hadn't tried restarting the whole program. Glad it's just a small bug. Cheers!
A vulnerability has been published today in regards to Sourcetree for Windows. The goal of this article is to give you a summary of information we have gathered from Atlassian Community as a st...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events