Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to see the tags that are not pushed to remote

Roeland Van Heddegem December 14, 2015

I have added some tags, but forget to push them to the remote. There's at this time no way to see these missing tags, as far as I can see.

If there's no easy way, could you please add this to the feature requests?

Thank you

-- Edit:

Why: These tags are used in an automatic build system. And when someone forget to push them to the remote, the build breaks... If everyone had a visual clue for missing tags on the remote, this would save some time for resolving those kind of errors.

For a possible solution, maybe you could add it this way: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11308298/how-to-list-unpushed-git-tags

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Roeland Van Heddegem December 17, 2015

I have added a feature request: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-4015

1 vote
Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2015

Just realized you're probably asking how to see a list of only unpushed tags?

Not sure why you'd need this - if you just do a 

git push --tags

or check the "Push all tags" box on the "Push" dialog box, all tags will be pushed to your remote.

Screen Shot 2015-12-15 at 8.49.48 AM.png

0 votes
Fredrik Arvidsson March 8, 2017

This problem also creates another problem namely seeing all tags that have been REMOVED from the remote branch. Even if pulling from the remote branch any deleted tags will not be removed on the local branch.

Scenario:

User1 locally deletes a tag and pushes the changes to the remote (Tag -> Remove Tag -> Remove tag from all remotes). The tag gets removed from the remote branch.

User2 sees no changes in SourceTree, but does a pull anyway. User2 locally still sees the tag that has been removed.

User2 commits and pushes some code changes and have the Push all tags option selected.

The removed tag now exists in the remote branch again.

Scale this scenario up to a team with say 6 people. Handling tags in SourceTree now gets almost impossible.

I would suggest to either implement a local/remote sync process with tags or completely remove tag handling from SourceTree.

Joerg Baeuerle May 8, 2018

We are experiencing exactly this problem described by Fredrik. It is annoying. Removed tags kept reappearing, until we realized what was going on.

Please add a local/remote sync process for tags. This would be so helpful!

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2015

As far as I know, SourceTree ONLY shows local tags. It seems (in my experience) to have no knowledge of what the remote tags are. @Tim Crall has already described how to push, I don't think there is a better solution available. This may be a Git limitation rather than a SourceTree one.

Roeland Van Heddegem December 15, 2015

You are probably right about the sourcetree behavior (as to date), but I don't think it's a Git limitation. I think it's possible to implement such a feature. See my edit

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2015

I'd say, based on the stackoverflow answer you linked to, that it IS a git limitation. The only way to get what you want is to run two separate git commands, and run those through other tools (grep, cut, comm) to merge and filter the results. Git natively tracks the status of both remote and local branches, but does not do the same for tags. That said, it certainly wouldn't be THAT hard for SourceTree to do that work, but I expect there will have to be a lot of thought put into how it should work and how it should look. You may want to submit a feature request at jira.atlassian.com.

Roeland Van Heddegem December 16, 2015

Thanks for the answer. I know enough now and I have submitted a feature request for it. (Sorry for the delayed responses, but I have not enough points to post more then 1 thing in 24 hours...)

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 17, 2015

I just voted up your question, which should give you enough points to post more. Can you post a link to the feature request as an answer?

Roeland Van Heddegem December 17, 2015

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events