Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to see all the files that I need to update or conflict in Source Tree?

Xun Cai February 23, 2012

Hi Guys,

I am very new to Source Tree and I am having some problem here.

When I juse SVN and some SVN software, I can easily see what files on the remote I need to update.

For example, I can see a list of files that I need to update or get conflict on the server. So before I download anything, I can go over them easily.

In Source Tree, I can look into remotes and see who commit what files.

But the problem is there is no easy way to see all the files I need to update from the server.

It can't list all the files that are different between my local and the remote.

Any idea?

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 23, 2012

If you're using Git, just click 'Fetch'. This will bring in the contents of the remote branch, which you can then see in the log just like you can see your own local branch. You can then to Pull the contents when you're ready.

For both Git and Mercurial though, remember that unlike SVN you can commit your changes locally. So even if there's a conflict, you never lose anything so long as you've committed already. So really, there's no need to do this 'remote pre check' like you would have to do in SVN. Typically you only do that in SVN becuase it won't let you commit your changes without updating first, potentially messing up your local uncommitted changes during the merge, so this kind of peeking was necessary. In Git and Mercurial, just commit your changes locally - they're preserved and aren't going to get messed up. Then pull, and resolve the conflicts - or if you don't want to yet, just leave them unmerged until you're ready. It's a different sort of concept.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 23, 2012

By the way the equivalent to 'fetch' in Mercurial is to 'pull' but with the post-pull action set to 'None'; this pulls in the new commits but doesn't touch your working copy so you stay where you were and can look at the new commits before updating to them or merging / rebasing your changes.

Xun Cai February 23, 2012

Hi but where can I see that list of files? I did a Fetch, but I couldn't see that list of files that I need to update from the remote. (I try to click Working Copy, and remotes)

the only thing I can do is to go to Master, and see my partner commited 3 times. And I have to go over each commit and see what files he submitted in each commit. But there is just no way to see an overal summary.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2012

You can select any 2 log entries at once (Cmd-Click), and the diff view will show the combined differences between them.

Or, you can merge, and then the merge commit will show you the differences.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events