How to search in commit descriptions

Mathieu Rivest February 19, 2014

Can sourcetree be used to search in commit descriptions in a branch (or multiple branches..)?

Seems strange that I can't seem to find such a useful feature.

5 answers

1 accepted

14 votes
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2014

At the bottom of the interface is a search tab (File Status, Log / History, Search). It does search commit messages, but I don't think it can be restricted to a particular branch.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2014

You can also search file changes or authors using the dropdown to the right of the search box, but that doesn't sound particularly helpful.

5 votes
Shlomo Konwisser October 16, 2015

Meanwhile, the search view button moved to the top left corner of the UI where you can switch between

• File Status (check-mark symbol)
  • Log (clock symbol)
  • Search (magnifying glass symbol)

Select Search, "Commit Message" next to the "Search:" label and enter your search String left of it, and hit Enter.

shiroamada November 11, 2015

Thank for the update, the Magnifying glass symbol just not catch my eye attention. I am looking for it. Thanks for your update!

Trevin Wisaksana March 29, 2019

For Mac users, you can also use the "Command + 3" shortcut

2 votes
Bash Xu August 14, 2016

屏幕快照 2016-08-15 下午3.55.52.png

0 votes
eonyanov2014 July 28, 2020

I using SourceTree 3.3.8 and can't find Searching by commit SHA. Where is it?

0 votes
rejem April 3, 2018

Just for the record - searching anything "in a branch" is not possible due to the principle of branches. Branch is only a pointer to a single commit, which is considered to be "the last commit of the branch", and commits itself do not "belong to a branch" anyhow else.

Therefore, git cannot determine "which branch was which" before merge commits.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events