How to improve performance of sourcetree on windows

Bob Marinier July 1, 2013

I've been using sourcetree on windows 7 since it was released. In that time, I've noticed it can sometimes be very slow, especially, when switching to it from another window (typically, eclipse). I thought it was actually locked up a few times, but if I wait long enough (10+ seconds), it becomes responsive again. Once it starts responding, it seems ok (still a little slow, but definitely usable).

One thing I've noticed is that if I'm running distributed.net in the background (a distributed computing program that runs at lowest priority), sourcetree becomes extremely unresponsive (e.g., things don't refresh, I can't click on anything, etc.). Pausing distributed.net helps, but sourcetree is still really slow to "wake up" when switching to it from another app.

From what I can gather looking at similar reports, the developers don't seem to experience these performance problems. Thus I assume there must be other things on my machine that are causing the problem. Other stuff running in the background includes F-Secure, VPN client, RescueTime, and various audio, video, and storage, wi-fi, and touchpad stuff (whatever those drivers install). I also am usually running thunderbird, firefox, and notepad++.

Any ideas which of these might be responsible, or other ideas to try?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2013

There seems to be a UI delay when you tab back to SourceTree after it's been long enough that the 'automatic remote check' (which happens every 10 minutes by default) has happened and potentially updated the push/pull counts for a number of bookmarks. It's the same reason I believe that it can have a delay at startup. I'm tracking this issue here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-728 and am trying to get to the bottom of it.

0 votes
Bob Marinier July 1, 2013

Agreed, that issue seems consistent with my experience. I have 7 repos bookmarked, and they are all open in tabs. I'll see if I can reduce that some to speed things up.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events