Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get new branch updated with updates to old branch?

Rolf Marsh April 20, 2014

I have an existing Git repo; the latest branch is 1.10.1. I need to continue to maintain branches off 1.10.1 for bug fixes. However, I want to start on a new major function for the app, creating a new branch (2.0.0) for this purpose.

My question is, using SourctTree, how do I create a new repo (2.0.0) that will be constantly updated with the branches off of 1.10.1?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2014

You should not use a separate repo, but separate branches in the same repo. You will have to periodically merge/cherry-pick changes to your 1.10.1 hotfixes to your latest branch.

If your question is how to maintain working copies of both 2.0 and 1.10 at the same time, then you can clone one local repository into another, and have each one checked out to a different branch. The 2nd repo will need to push to the first, which will need to do another push to remotes, which is inconvenient, but I haven't found a better way to implement 2 working copies of the same repository.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events