How to get a list of commits from SourceTree

Zteve May 16, 2013

I am viewing a branch in the log view and I have highlighted several commits in the 'Current Branch' view. How do I capture a list of all the commits selected?

Copy/Cut to the clipboard doesn't appear to get text (nothing in my editor when I paste it), and I can't see any option to generate a file or a view of this list of selected commits.

I would like a list with the commit id, the branch it was on, and the commit message at the least.

This would be handy when generating release notes, or reports.

6 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Zteve June 11, 2013
3 votes
AmberF
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2013

At present, SourceTree doesn't provide a way to copy & paste the commit text, nor is there a way to export a list. I suggest filing a feature request in our online issue tracker at jira.atlassian.com - we take all user feedback and suggestions into consideration when determining our product roadmaps.

1 vote
Sameer Deshmukh July 17, 2015

We definitely need this feature as many of our members are working late nights and weekends and we want to create visibility around this to share with upper mgmt. This feature will be very helpful in that regard

Sergey Ok September 17, 2015

Still need it badly

0 votes
jaredjacob667 January 26, 2017

I found this, Its not exactly from sourcetree but you can log out specific commit messages and such with git itself. See link here https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Basics-Viewing-the-Commit-History. You could then pipe that output to a .txt file or something. Its a workaround if this feature never comes about.

For me this command worked once in the directory. This gave the commit hash with its commit message.

git log --pretty=oneline 

0 votes
Dustin Gaudet September 8, 2016

To anyone coming here looking for a solution - I've just submitted a feature request over JIRA (the link was posted above, but it doesn't look like anyone wanted the feature enough to actually submit a request). 

0 votes
A P March 3, 2016

Another vote for this feature from me... We also need to be able to report changes to non-developers in a periodic report, and either need to paste the commit messages into both places on each commit (to keep a running log), or copy and paste via the web interface one-by-one to update (or just to verify the log file completeness). Either way, it is a time consuming process that could be made so much easier if we could export this information, or even see it all at once via the web interface to copy and paste it just once.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events